• kingthrillgore@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

The DBA at my old job used to keep a revolver with one bullet, and a bottle of evan williams in his cabinet. There would come many a time when he reaches for the drawer and opens it, seeing both. He always opted for the whiskey, but having seen some of our PRs, there were definitely times he lingered on the revolver.

This is a joke, btw. When’s the last time you’ve seen a dedicated DBA lol

• imsodin@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Could you do your best dunk on ES for me please? Not as in factually great, just whatever. I (ab)use quite a bit in my work, and can’t say I have particularly strong opinions/feelings around it either way - I could use some help to change that xD

• HogsTooth@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

My most recent complaint is about index mappings. I have 2 types in 2 different indexes that each have a field with the same name. One index has a hand written mapping. The other index is currently under active development and doesn’t have a mapping for it yet so it’s built automatically. When I insert into the index WITHOUT a mapping, the index WITH a mapping changes the field into a keyword and no further queries against the index WITH a mapping work. This also happens if I insert into the index WITHOUT a mapping before the other index is created. Why does the index WITH a mapping change?!? WE WROTE THE MAPPING FOR A REASON BUT ITS IGNORED!?!

• Venia Silente@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Bartender, I’ll have a shot of that. And please clear my TABLE, I’d rather have a nice VIEW.

• afk_strats@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

That’ll make you forget about the analyst who left didn’t add a WHERE clause in their “test” UPDATE statement

• ulkesh@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Seriously though, MySQL is garbage and its replication is even worse. It is by design that you’re not supposed to rely on it. It’s apparently a feature that the replication gets out of sync. Why have it then?

I can’t wait until I no longer have to deal with databases. The time is coming!

• Presi300@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I wanna take a shot of something else every time I have to do anything with databases…