• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

my mother in law does this! Drives me insane! “I just wanted to watch the two towers”. That’s IT? You didn’t feel the drive to immediately start RotK?

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

First I watch the scenes with hobbits but not Frodo. Then I watch the scenes with Frodo but no other hobbits. Then I watch the scenes with Frodo and Bilbo but not Gandalf. Then I watch the scenes with dwarves and without Boromir. Then I seek psychiatric help.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

To be fair, that’s a little like how the books are structured once the Fellowship breaks up. Book 3 is entirely following the Three Hunters, Merry, & Pippin. Then book 4 gives us Frodo & Sam. Book 5 returns to what Aragorn, Gandalf et al. are doing in Rohan & Gondor. The book 6 starts with Frodo & Sam in Mordor and their rescue from it. Then returns for the hobbits’ return trip to the Shire and the Scouring, and the denouement.

• TheRedSpade@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Are you getting fanfic mixed in there? There are only 3 LOTR books. An argument could even be made that they’re all one book since that’s how it was written, and it was the publisher that split it into 3.

• deo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

LotR is generally published in three named volumes, but each volume is broken up into two “books” (in this context, meaning a major division of a literary work, not a set of bound pages). FotR, Book II starts with the chapter “Many Meetings” (when Frodo wakes up in Rivendell).

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

There are only 3 LOTR books

No, there are 6. To quote the “note on the text” at the beginning of my 1-volume edition:

The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously called a trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books plus appendices, sometimes published in three volumes.

Each of the common three volumes consists of two books, which should be clearly delineated as such in any copy.