Using specific words and phrasing with the government to get a desirable outcome is literally what some of us have to do with the police.

• Bob Robertson IX@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Several years ago I used to work with a could3 of cops, and I’d always ask them: is there anything I can do during a traffic stop to get out of a ticket. They’d share laugh it off and say “no, if you deserve a ticket then you’ll get one”. But then once night on a business trip I was out drinking with one of the guys and asked again and he actually told me what I should do that will give a ‘signal’ that I’m ‘one of the good ones’. I have only gotten warnings since then.

The advice was: get out your wallet, turn on the inside light, roll down your window, while holding your wallet, place both hands (crossed) at the top of your steering wheel.

• tobogganablaze@lemmus.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

True, I’ve never had to memorize a script to deal with the police. Don’t feel necessary.

On an unrelated note, sovereign citizens are super weird.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I think you’re right, had multiple encounter with police, don’t need to memorize no scripts, and think sovcit is a bunch of insane people. So thank god for that i guess.

• n0m4n@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

“I would like to talk to a lawyer before answering any questions” is my magic phrase. It is fairly easy to remember.