Should I use the proprietary drivers? How much fps do I loose if I use the open drivers? I use ChimeraOS (Arch Linux)

• Bandicoot_Academic@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

No. The open source drivers are better at almost everything. The only reasons to use the propriatary one is if you need some OpenCL improvements of if you are using a Radeon Pro GPU. For normal usage and gaming the open source driver will offer more performance and better compatibility.

• ayaya@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

if you need some OpenCL improvements

As far as I can tell mesa and the proprietary drivers both use the ROCm packages for OpenCL. I don’t think there’s actually a difference on that front.

• Bandicoot_Academic@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I honestly don’t realy know. The Arch wiki says that there are some differences with AMF and OpenCL but I don’t know how up to date that information is.

• ayaya@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Yeah I had to double check as well. It actually does elaborate.

“AMDGPU PRO OpenCL - used because Mesa OpenCL is not fully complete. Proprietary component only for Polaris GPUs. The onward GPUs use the open ROCm OpenCL.”

So for anything newer than the RX 500 series (anything after 2017) it doesn’t matter for OpenCL it seems.

From what I can gather the OpenCL stack used to be proprietary, but they decided to open source it when ROCm came along. So the Pro driver used to be more important and now it’s really only necessary for AMF since the Vulkan and OpenGL portions are straight up worse than mesa.

• soulsource
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Mesa has its own OpenCL implementations for AMD GPUs too: Clover and RustiCL. However, Clover is not really developed any more (afaik) and lacks some important extensions, such that many programs can’t use it. RustiCL is rather new, and I don’t know how well it works.

• F04118F@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Don’t use proprietary drivers and don’t install amdvlk or whatever it’s called, just use mesa if the Steam install asks you to choose.

The open source drivers for AMD have great performance, they power the Steam Deck and have great compatibility.

• SavvyWolf@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

As far as I know, the open source drivers are recommended for AMD - my driver installer in Mint doesn’t even list proprietary drivers.

• F04118F@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

No, I think I have the library rocm smi lib (or something like that) (on Endeavour/Arch btw) installed and it is used by btop to display GPU stats. EDIT: The Arch package is extra/rocm-smi-lib