For anyone wondering if Threads and Facebook at large will be a fine neighbor in the space and compatible with other apps/services in the fediverse: they’re already automatically hiding comments that mention Pixelfed https://mastodon.social/@dansup/112126250737482807

• Carlo@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Happy to see that nearly all the biggest Lemmy instances are blocking it, with the glaring exception of lemmy.world, which is the largest by far. lemmy.world is to lemmy as AOL was to the early internet—the default bucket for those who don’t know any better.

• Syrc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Well, for non-German speaking europeans it makes sense, last time I checked .world was the only decently-sized English-speaking server in my area.

EDIT: well, apparently that’s no longer the case, good to be wrong I guess

• Syrc@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

Lemm.ee still shows up as “private” in the Observer, but I don’t know how I missed .ml being in France (I really doubt they somehow “ moved” the server). Checking again you’re right though, the situation got a lot better over time.

• SorteKanin@feddit.dk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

decently-sized

Why does this matter? You can see everything on lemmy.world even if you come from a small instance. Size is not necessarily a benefit here.

• Syrc@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

A small instance has a higher probability of the owner stopping maintaining it. Obviously this doesn’t apply if the instance is yours, but I’m not tech-savvy enough to do that.

• GreatAlbatross@feddit.uk
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

You actually raise a good point: People may not join a smaller instance if you’re not confident it’s going to hang around.

I might see if I can publish a contingency/continuity plan in our next community update.

• SorteKanin@feddit.dk
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

True, that’s fair. But I’d still join a small server to give it a chance and to keep them afloat. Small servers would maybe stay around more if more people joined :)