Today was the first day that both our kids are in day-care all day. Effectively the end of our parental leave. Me and my SO decided to treat ourselves to a movie and saw Barbie. We figured if the conservative sphere was getting pissy about it, it must be good.

Anyone else see it?

I wasn’t expecting much. I have to say, I don’t think I could have ever expected this movie to be what it was. It’s campy, funny, colorful, and steps on your throat with it’s message and hardly let’s it off. I say that as positivity as someone can.

It’s amusing to me that some people think the movie is anti-man. It did make me feel mournful for my daughters inevitable loss of innocence. A corporate, big budget toy advertisement of all things. I think that’s the most surprising part. In some ways Barbie is the most unlikely and perfect vehicle for what the movie has to say.

I don’t know. It’s conflicting because, at the end of the day it’s a huge corporate puff peace, but also… What else could deliver it’s message to so many people?

• ImOnADiet [he/him]@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

uh yeah it’s up to the parent to know if their kid is mature enough. There’s nothing in that movie that could scar a kid like an R rated movie could, what more do you want? do you want them to literally start making parents bring birth certificates to movies to prove their kid isn’t under 13???

• ChapolinColoradoNZ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

No, what I meant is that nobody went to see the Barbie movie expecting to find a movie heavily politicised, that’s it. Have you ever watched any other Barbie content before this movie? I certainly have done so with my daughter. If I’m going to see a John Wick movie, I know what to expect and so would you. Did you expect a Barbie movie to be what it was? I never said the movie was wrong or the message was wrong, that was never the point of my comments and every one seems to miss that.

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Barbie is inherently political. The mere existence of Barbie in previous generations inspired similar movements to the “anti-woke” far right reaction that we’re experiencing today.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Hehehe, we’re still talking about Mattel’s Barbie doll, right? Because that toy’s history is not as clear cut as you seem to think. =)

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

I don’t think you really have an understanding of what politics even means as a word. Yes, I’m referring to the toy. Yes, it is inherently political. You’re giving a bad name to my home state with your strange obsession with sanitized, non-political movies, which by the way, literally don’t now nor never have existed.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

To me what’s funny is your obsession for being right and to make me sound like an alt-right twat because I don’t agree with you 100%. Get over it. Also, Colorado is a Spanish word in case you didn’t know and I’m not from the US of the A. If you Googled the profile name without the NZ at the end, you’d know it has nothing to do with your home state. Also, supporters of my home town’s football team are called colorados, so yeah, I’m latin american and Spanish/Portuguese words have a lot more use than those you thought of. Surprise! =)