I’m looking at getting myself a new laptop to replace my Dell Inspiron. I’ll be using it for some on the go video editing.

I watch TheLinuxExperiment and he seems happy enough with Tuxedo Laptops. I was looking at the TUXEDO Stellaris 16 - Gen5 - AMD but I’m open to other recommendations.

• stuckgum@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Buy a thinkpad. You can customize them on Lenovos website and save money by removing the operating system etc.

• Sentient Loom@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I love my T16 gen1. The P16 is more upgradable but also much more expensive. But basically yeah, you just have to pick the right model and specs.

• Shareni@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Most parts are replaceable, but I think at most only RAM and SSD are upgradable on the newer models. It’s truly disgusting that that’s become a feature and not the bare minimum.

• Sentient Loom@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

On the T16 I have one soldered RAM slot and one replaceable. Of course the SSD can be upgraded too.

The P16 (not the P16s which is just a T16) has four upgradable RAM slots and two slots for SSD.

So that’s not crazy amounts of upgradability but it’s something.

I actually got a Legion Pro 5 instead because it’s a lot cheaper but still has 2 upgradable RAM slots and two SSD slots. My only complaint is that the keyboard is less stable than on a thinkpad and it looks like a gaming laptop.

Someday I’ll get a P16 though… or else one of those Eurocom laptops, if only they had 16:10 screens and nice keyboards.

• Quazatron@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

That’s what I did.

On their site you can order a fully customized machine and they’ll even install Linux for you.

I ordered a full AMD laptop with a lot more RAM by saving the Windows tax.

They are solid machines. I just got a Thinkpad P1 Gen 6 from work (1,8kg with a friggin 880 gram 230 Watt power supply that I will not have to carry around, fortunately) and it is great.