• Thordros [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Style Guide Notes:

Portions of the Korean Peninsula below the Korean Demilitarized Zone at the 38th parallel are to be referred to as the American Occupation Zone in Korea—or, more simply, Occupied Korea.

Please revise to improve article clarity.

• Ed.
  • Erika3sis [she/her, xe/xem]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I remember that in the music video for “Al-Quds Unites Us” that it showed for a brief moment a Palestinian solidarity protest in South Korea. That was the only text in the video neither in the Arabic or Latin scripts.

Given Korea’s own history of getting colonized, I honestly have to wonder where public opinion on Palestine stands in the south. Has the ol’ consent manufacturing machine managed to push most South Koreans towards pro-Zionist brainworms?

• RyanGosling [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I don’t think Japanese or South Koreans view the country as colonized, even though a foreign country controls their military. And for South Korea, a foreign country dictates whether South Korea can officially end the war with the north.

But some Japanese companies did stop working with Israel following the ICJ findings.

Given Korea’s own history of getting colonized, I honestly have to wonder where public opinion on Palestine stands in the south.

Vietnam and Palestine are almost a parallel image, but the former is still cooperating with Israel. So being colonized is not always a great indicator of anything

• Erika3sis [she/her, xe/xem]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

The DPRK did have that news article that called the United States a country “controlled by Jews”, so I guess Korea’s antisemitic brainworms extend on either side of the DMZ. I wonder why, though — it’s not like Korea has much of a Jewish history before, like, the 1950s, but I guess it could also be precisely that which allowed antisemitism to take hold in Korea.