• m-p{3}@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

That was the case with the original Sync, no surprise here.

• ijeff@lemdro.idM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Although there was the option to purchase Pro as a one-time fee. This one unfortunately only has a subscription option (which I’m not too keen on).

Edit: ljdawson has confirmed there will be an one-time payment options for both Ultra and ad removal!

• lolreconlol@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Same… I rarely buy apps. I’m definitely not subscribing to something.

• Zaphod
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

And not to an app to browse a social network, when there’s free alternatives without ads

• Schaedelbach@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

I am in the same boat. Bought RIF years ago and there are a couple of other apps I got as a one time purchase but subscriptions mostly make me delete an app immediately. Stuff like Spotify or Netflix are exceptions of course but those apps are just the gateway to a paid service. Sync doesn’t have to pay money on an ongoing basis to Lemmy. It’s straight up a purchase to the developer for an app.

Not too concerned though, I use Voyager at the moment and it’s just such a great way to browse Lemmy, I have no problem sticking with it!

• notapantsday@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Technically, they could be fair but they’re just always extremely overpriced. If you buy an app for $5 and use it for 5 years, it comes out at 8 cents a month. You’ll never find an app subscription that costs you 8 cents a month, but that would be a fair deal.

• BackStabbath@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It’ll probably have a one time fee option. The dev must know that not everyone will want to pay a subscription. I paid for removing ads on Sync for Reddit and I’ll happily do it again, so hopefully there will be an option of just removing ads. I don’t use either Lemmy or Reddit enough to justify paying a subscription, even though I really respect the dev.

• danc4498@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

While I’ve never used this app, it seems like there are so many good quality free/open source Lemmy apps now that an app with ads and subscriptions doesn’t really make sense.

• flossdaily@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m fine with an ad version and then an upgrade to an ad-free version.

What’s insane here is this developer making a subscription service instead of an ad-free pro version

I mean, he’s competing against TOTALLY FREE, Ad-free lemmy apps RIGHT NOW, and every 3rd-party Reddit app developer is working on a lemmy version as we speak.

This was a total clown move. I was ready to drop like $10 on a pro version right now, if it had great UI. But a subscription … For access to a FREE service? The balls on this guy.

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Lemmy is not a free service. You might not be paying for it but some of us are. With subscriptions too. Subscriptions are the better funding model for continued development and operation.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Lemmy instances are not a free service. Yet don’t have ads and instead rely on donations or are self funded. And then this app comes out with a subscription model to remove ads despite instances doing the heavy lifting of this space that has been contrary to the usual monetization model?

I’m not sure this type of defense you make really applies in this situation. If it was a reddit app sure, but in the space of the fediverse it stands out as rather unusual.

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I’m not defending anything. Simply pointing out that Lemmy isn’t a free service even if it looks that way for some (or many).

I’m not sure who does the heavy lifting btw. It’s not easy to decipher whether running an instance or developing the cloud components or the mobile components is easier. Also the funding is a bit wonky at the moment. The core Lemmy development is woefully underfunded compared to some of the large instances. It’s likely to get better eventually but so far I’ve noticed that core development funding barely budged for the last month or two. Instances are vitally dependent on the core project.

• fuzzzerd@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

People are understandably reluctant to donate to the core Lemmy devs, but donating to an instance is a lot more reasonable to many folks so that’s why it’s unfolding that way.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Yes, lemmy isn’t a free service So the argument to defend lemmy and give them money makes more sense when it comes to instances than it does for an app that shows up with a subscription model to remove ads.

The subscription from sync is not one run directly by the lemmy instance that is not charging api calls, not showing ads to users, and not paywalling users yet taking on so much expense. Which is why I’m not really sure what role sync plays here from your comments, since sync app and the costs of hosting a lemmy instance seem like entirely different matters.

• farlet2@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Most of us understand fully the “why” of a subscription model, however, this is not the place, not on a free service.

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Literally what I said - Lemmy is not a free service. Free as in free beer. Most of Lemmy is a service that costs real money to real users. Maybe not to all of them. Maybe it doesn’t cost you in particular anything, but it costs another user on the instance money. They’re just happy to pay for you. There’s a ♥️ button up top in the web interface. There’s likely another link in the sidebar. If you follow them to the respective payment service, you can see how much it costs and sometimes who’s paying for it, if they chose to not pay anonymously.

• ExtremeDullard@lemmy.sdf.org
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  11 months ago

I believe in paying for the things I use - unless there’s no practical way for me to pay. See below - because if I don’t pay, whoever supplies the service I use is either an idealist and I’m a freeloader, or they’re milking my private data for money.

That’s why the Fediverse instances I use are hosted on SDF and I pay SDF for the privilege.

There are also cases where I would like to pay for the service but I can’t. For instance, Youtube: I would gladly pay for Youtube. I literally consume hundreds of gigabytes worth of video every month. $10 for that is very cheap.

But I can’t because paying Youtube means having a Youtube account, and there’s no way in hell I’m opening any account with Google and help them track me and monetize the shit out of my viewing habits even more than they do. So I don’t.

I wish I could, but Google is so invasive that it’s a better option to freeload off of them than pay them the money they legitimately deserve.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Should update that subscription page in the app with the disclaimer. ‘App is in beta and there will be a one time payment option to remove ads once it gets out of beta’. Since right now the subscription only model to remove ads is leading to bad impressions that is drawing attention away from the actual app.

Especially on Android where not a lot of people encounter subscription models, and this is the first of its kind I’ve encountered on Android.

• Aasikki@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

On sync for reddit there always was a one time purchase to remove ads. The subscription is for extra features which you honestly don’t need. I believe the one time purchase is coming back on this version as well.

• cakeistheanswer@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s just evidence it’s a gold rush.

I wasn’t expecting an ideologically motivated project by any means, but his focus is on the diminishing parade of users he’s got from the previous app and not where he’s sending them.

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I got kinda disappointed when I noticed that the author almost doesn’t visit Lemmy and everything is coordinated on Discord instead of the, you know, forum-thingy which you make an app for.