• empireOfLove@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Why though? They’ve done nothing worthy of defederation, they’re simply trying to maintain their standard of quality. And they are a HUGE INSTANCE.

Extremists are always going to get pigeonholed by the rest of the network that doesn’t want to see that shit filling up their All page and infiltrating their comments.

• oatmilkmaid@possumpat.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Leave blocking communities and instances to users. If you don’t want to see “extremists” in your All page, block the community. Block the users in the comments.

Defederation should happen based on the instance community’s collective decision (no vote was done for defederation) and when an instance is actively working against the rules of a federated instance. Hexbear has not shown itself to be breaking the rules or to be planning to, and the arguments used by the world admins were all opinions and not based in reality. The admins of hexbear specifically made a post telling their users to respect federated instances rules.

Yes, the users are opinionated - but that in and of itself isn’t worth defederating with.

Mind you I’m not about to start asking to defederate from world, but I’m still kinda worried that this type of preemptive defederation is going to be the norm for world.

• ratroast@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I would love to be able to block entire instances but I don’t believe that is possible yet. If it is please tell me how cause I have a bunch that would be on the chopping block!

• oatmilkmaid@possumpat.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I don’t believe that there’s a lemmy-ui or server side option for it, but some mobile apps do let you block instances which for me is good enough.

• empireOfLove@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s not just about blocking it for yourself, though. Content from all federated instances ends up in YOUR instance’s All tab. So when extremist instances sneak in and start federating with everyone, their shit gets broadcast to a huge audience that everyone can see, including users not logged in. So by not defederating, the admins are effectively supporting the platform of extremists and not enforcing their own instance content rules through inaction. This is what I mean by admins needing to maintain their own standard of content on their own instances.

We just did this at lemmy.one with exploding-heads for the same reasons.