• Baphomet_The_Blasphemer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I’ve been to the Grand Canyon three times, even hiked it once. While it is a sight to behold, it never once made me start believing in a deity.

Edit: The other part goes without saying.

• SuddenDownpour@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

That’s because, as it’s often the case, the jump from “The Grand Canyon is beautiful -> An higher intelligence must have created it” is not a logical conclusion, but rather the rationalization of a preconceived belief.

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

It reminds me of the first time I went to the US. Of course I got to be seated in the plane next to some religious nutjob. So he looks through the window at some clouds below us and turning to me “isn’t god’s creation amazing?”.

As I had little experience with his kind, I didn’t comment (which, luckily, was the right answer).

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

He mostly took me by surprise. It’s something nobody sane would ever say in Europe.

Later during that trip, I had another surreal exchange in a little nowhere place. We were stopped in the centre of a little village, wondering where we could find some kind of restaurant, but the place was utterly empty. Presumably there might have been some kind of mall or something in the area, but we hadn’t spotted it.
            Anyway a local helpfully came and told us that he had no idea where a restaurant was, but maybe there was one at some other village 30 km away. And also were we Christians?

Um, what?

For then we shall meet again in heaven.

So I mumbled something along the lines that the whole Christian thing wasn’t really all that hot in Europe any longer, and wished him luck with his heavenly endeavours, and we got the fuck out of there.

I met a few of those guys, but that one was the weirdest.

• MonkderZweite@feddit.ch
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

He mostly took me by surprise. It’s something nobody sane would ever say in Europe.

There was this guy in my commute train once. Before he got out he was like “God loves you all!” in utter bliss. Everyone was silent and after a few seconds of processing i got a “good for you” out.

• FiniteBanjo@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Wouldn’t the existence of anything which formed over 80 million years directly contradict every creationist theory from established religious texts? I can’t imagine seeing the layer of 270 Million year old Limestone and thinking “How wild that God made this 5,000 years ago with such sophistication” like that’s just asinine.

• xpinchx@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Lol my thoughts exactly… I’ve also been, it’s literally a testament to geological change over time and rich in archeological significance from the natives that once lived there.

Also having been to many national parks it’s not even the most impressive imo, even in the area. I thought Bryce Canyon was cooler 🤷‍♂️

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

They think it was carved from the earth by sky daddy and his flying elves and just made to look like it was millions of years old because they like to confuse people and self-sabotage apparently.