• Zeshade@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

We were looking at getting an EV without being able to charge it at home. Charging it at public chargers here in the UK would’ve cost about the same as petrol. But having to rely on the public charging infrastructure in its current state made us decide against it, at least for now.

• kescusay@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Out of curiosity, why couldn’t you charge it at home? Most electric cars can have their chargers plugged into a standard wall outlet. It’s slower, but it works fine.

• Munkisquisher@lemmy.nz
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I live in a hilly suburb, there’s a parking pad at road level which is far from my house and on council land. No way for me to install charging equipment. It’s very common in my country.

• kescusay@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeah, that sounds like a fully electric vehicle wouldn’t be a good fit, then.

• Munkisquisher@lemmy.nz
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I wish I could make it work, and it highlights some huge infrastructure issues that need to be solved before the combustion engine goes

• iNeedScissors67@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I’d love to have one too but I live in the city now instead of the suburbs. My car is parked on a concrete pad in the alley behind my house, a good 80 feet from any electricity. I could probably charge at work though by just parking in the warehouse and plugging in to one of the many extension cords we have around.

• Zeshade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Same as what others said. We basically don’t have a driveway. The UK government is pushing for public chargers to become more reliable and easier to use though. This reinforced our fears that the current infrastructure may be unreliable but at the same time really gives hope that it will be good enough for us in the very near future. Our employer’s office also doesn’t currently offer charging, which some of our friends get, which is really nice for people in my situation.

• ThePyroPython@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

A bit difficult to do if where your living you aren’t able to run the charging cable from the inside of your house to the outside.

• kescusay@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Ah. Yeah, if you don’t have any external outlets, that would make an electric car less practical.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I made a similar decision. The only garages available to me are unpowered, not cheap, and not even super close to my apartment door. If I felt I could get my landlord to build the infrastructure for parking lot charging and penalize ice vehicles for parking in charging spaces I probably would’ve gone electric

• derpysmilingcat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

This is such a major issue. I genuinely wonder if we apartment and non-garage having individuals are going to be just shit out of luck for a long time. People normally don’t care about us at all.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yeah I figure that’ll be the case. Like I mentioned it to my gentrification happy landlord and apparently they’d never even considered it

• jimbolauski@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

If you are plugging into an outlet in your garage (level 1) you are only charging up 3 - 5 miles per hour. Putting in a 240v 40 amp (level 2) will get you 20 - 25 miles per hour i.e. a complete recharge for current batteries in 12 hours.

• 4shtonButcher
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Here in DK we are fine with public charging only. Still quite a bit cheaper than gas for a comparable car. And I suspect lower repair cost, (currently) free parking and eventual city closures for ICEs to be enough logical reasons for hesitant people. Personally I would have never bought an ICE. Felt bad enough getting a car at all.