I’m looking for an Android python compiler interpreter that runs locally on my phone. Any suggestions are appreciated. FOSS apps preferred of course.

Edit: changed compiler to interpreter

Edit 2: I ended up going with Pydroid3. I wish there was a FOSS alternative.

• skilltheamps@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Well it is compiled to byte code in a first step, and this byte code then gets processed by the interpreter. Now Java does the exact same thing: gets compiled to byte code which then gets executed by the jvm (java virtual machine), which is essentially a interpreter that is just a little simpler than the python one (has fewer types for example). And yet, nobody talks about a java interpreter

• testfactor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I think there’s several reasons for that, not the least of which is that you can’t distribute python bytecode.

With java, I run through an intentional compilation step and then ship the jar file to my consumers. I’d never ship a .pyc to the field.

In python (specifically cpython), that step is just an implementation detail of the interpreter/runtime.
      If you ever used something other than the default python interpreter, it probably wouldn’t implement the same bytecode subsystem under the hood. Python bytecode isn’t part of the spec.