I’m looking for an Android python compiler interpreter that runs locally on my phone. Any suggestions are appreciated. FOSS apps preferred of course.

Edit: changed compiler to interpreter

Edit 2: I ended up going with Pydroid3. I wish there was a FOSS alternative.

• testfactor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

You’re gonna get mocked for saying compiler instead of interpreter, since python isn’t compiled.

But, to answer the spirit of your question, I’ve had good experiences with “Pydroid 3.” Clean interface and gets the job done.

• skilltheamps@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Well it is compiled to byte code in a first step, and this byte code then gets processed by the interpreter. Now Java does the exact same thing: gets compiled to byte code which then gets executed by the jvm (java virtual machine), which is essentially a interpreter that is just a little simpler than the python one (has fewer types for example). And yet, nobody talks about a java interpreter

• testfactor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I think there’s several reasons for that, not the least of which is that you can’t distribute python bytecode.

With java, I run through an intentional compilation step and then ship the jar file to my consumers. I’d never ship a .pyc to the field.

In python (specifically cpython), that step is just an implementation detail of the interpreter/runtime.
        If you ever used something other than the default python interpreter, it probably wouldn’t implement the same bytecode subsystem under the hood. Python bytecode isn’t part of the spec.

• solrize@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

You can run Python under Termux if that suffices. If you want to write gui apps in python, look at kivy.org though it is maybe not so easy to use (I have not tried it).

• cybericOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I’m mostly looking for an IDE that can work with it if possible

• solrize@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

On a phone?! Maybe write your programs on a desktop, then move them to the phone.

• cybericOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Well the dream is to write little programs while traveling

• solrize@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Get a small laptop, really. Don’t expect to code on a phone. You can run an sshd under termux and an ide on the laptop, I guess, to easily push code to the phone. You can even run emacs on the phone and use it through ssh (IDEs are for hipsters anyway). But what kinds of programs are these? If they don’t have to run on the phone, a laptop with a normal dev environment will be a lot nicer.

• squid_slime@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Sorry for being maybe dumb on this subject but doesn’t python run uncompiled like bash scripting does?

Ive run python from termux

• cybericOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Yes, I got them switched. My bad 🤦

• catloaf@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Maybe py2c? You’d need gcc and cython, and while I’m sure gcc is available I doubt cython is.