I’m looking for an Android python compiler interpreter that runs locally on my phone. Any suggestions are appreciated. FOSS apps preferred of course.

Edit: changed compiler to interpreter

Edit 2: I ended up going with Pydroid3. I wish there was a FOSS alternative.

• testfactor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

You’re gonna get mocked for saying compiler instead of interpreter, since python isn’t compiled.

But, to answer the spirit of your question, I’ve had good experiences with “Pydroid 3.” Clean interface and gets the job done.

• skilltheamps@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Well it is compiled to byte code in a first step, and this byte code then gets processed by the interpreter. Now Java does the exact same thing: gets compiled to byte code which then gets executed by the jvm (java virtual machine), which is essentially a interpreter that is just a little simpler than the python one (has fewer types for example). And yet, nobody talks about a java interpreter

• testfactor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I think there’s several reasons for that, not the least of which is that you can’t distribute python bytecode.

With java, I run through an intentional compilation step and then ship the jar file to my consumers. I’d never ship a .pyc to the field.

In python (specifically cpython), that step is just an implementation detail of the interpreter/runtime.
        If you ever used something other than the default python interpreter, it probably wouldn’t implement the same bytecode subsystem under the hood. Python bytecode isn’t part of the spec.