A New York judge has imposed a gag order on Donald Trump, limiting the former president from making statements about potential witnesses in the criminal trial relating to hush money payments scheduled to begin next month.

Judge Juan Merchan also said that Trump can’t make statements about attorneys, court staff or the family members of prosecutors or lawyers intended to interfere with the case. Trump is also barred from making statements about any potential or actual juror.

The former president, Merchan wrote, has a history of making “threatening, inflammatory, denigrating” statements against people at all levels of the justice system, including jurors.

• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

With Trump and the judges’ general lack of courage to enforce the law against oligarchs, these tend to be more like gag suggestions.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

A pre-emptive gag order is a good sign that maybe this judge has some backbone. A 6 month contempt of court sentence might slow Donny down.

• Chef@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I have to disagree, especially in this case.

Forget the fact that his public statements can cause real damage to the targets of his accusations.

The gag order is called for if only to ensure he receives a fair trial with an outcome determined by an untainted jury. Whether he is trying to or not, every public statement potentially removes jurors from the pool by having them create a predetermined opinion on the defendant and the case.

This is literally a case where the judge needs to “protect the defendant from himself” as well as protect the proceedings from a mistrial or future appeals.

• pmmeyourtits@ani.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Help me understand your perspective.

My perspective is, when Trump tweets/truthsocials anyone’s name in a court case about him, said person and person’s family receive death threats, bomb threats and other forms of intimidation.

So for this I see gag orders as important when used for good.

Providing two sources for sauce. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/judge-engoron-staff-death-threats-antisemitic-attacks-1234894395/ https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/01/11/bomb-threat-judge-ny-fraud-trial/

• orbitz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Sure just let Trump commit stoic terrorism in hopes everyone is scared to cross him rather than gag him because he ALWAYS does it. That seems like a great way to make sure justice is done.

• JoBo@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

This is a semantic objection which completely ignores context and scope.

The ‘gag order’ bars Trump from using his platform to intimidate witnesses and employees of the court.