• Thurstylark
    link
    fedilink
    English
    442 months ago

Me: fixes exposure to vuln

Also me: grabs popcorn

This is going to be an interesting story once this all quiets down…

• NaN
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Gonna take a bit. The dudes been doing the releases for over a year, everything they touched is suspect now even if nothing earlier is known. Also some other associated accounts have been doing shady stuff too.

And that’s just one project that had a burnt out maintainer who welcomed some help from this guy. There are probably others. The hobby project becoming a core piece is a big issue.

• @SuperIce@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        202 months ago

Yeah, it looks like that little Jenga block from the xkcd meme was XZ and a bunch of infrastructure is gonna have issues because of it.

• Brunacho
        link
        fedilink
        English
        102 months ago

Gonna take a bit. The dudes been doing the releases for over a year, everything they touched is suspect now even if nothing earlier is known. Also some other associated accounts have been doing shady stuff too.

gonna take even a bit more now. Github closed the account and project making it really difficult to see their commits and merges and analyze them.

• Thurstylark
        link
        fedilink
        English
        102 months ago

Running Arch, so not really exposed, but still had a compromised version installed.

• @wolf@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Supply chain attacks are extremely cheap/easy and very effective, so get prepared for more of them in the future.

It really bothers me, that many companies make billions utilizing open source without contributing money/employees etc. to secure/supply/maintain supply chains.