Thx to all devs ;)

• Björn Tantau
    link
    fedilink
    232 months ago

My 9 year old is growing up too fast. We set up a laptop for her today and she didn’t want to install GCompris or Ktuberling.

• @s3rvant@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      92 months ago

My 8yrs still tinker with Gcompris a little but mostly play with Scratch Jr, emulators and web games

• @krash@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    42 months ago

I got my kid on Gcompris when she was 2.5 year old, and noticed a lot of rough edges UX wise. Small things on how feedback was given to a kid, or the lack of separation between games depending on how suitable they were for different ages.

Still, I choose Gcompris any day over apps design around maximizing endorphin rewards and data collection. I just wish there were more quality FOSS games for toddlers.

• @Allon@lemmy.kde.social
      link
      fedilink
      12 months ago

Hi, If you go to gcompris setting, at the bottom you can choose the difficuly level by setting stars quantities.

• FfaerieOxide
        link
        fedilink
        -122 months ago

Front-facing cameras should not exist. Yes, on everything.

Did xz not just happen?

Physically block the light.

• FfaerieOxide
            link
            fedilink
            132 months ago

That’s not the point. The point is “linux” is not reason to inherently trust a system.

Cover your cameras (as a compromise to ripping them out with a soldering iron).

• @MachineFab812
            link
            12 months ago

Intel and AMD firmware’s have been having exploits discovered all over the news in recent years. Yes, for older processors and chipsets, but tell me, is all your hardware brand new?

• @MachineFab812
                link
                22 months ago

Its not the people with properly-configured networks demanding to be convinced to cover their webcams. Also, our PCs are generally not the devices we’re slapping into DMZs and VLANs with either no LAN access, no internet access, or a bajillion blocked(or whitelisted) ports.

Personally, I’m far more concerned about my phone, but google has had my family’s data by the balls forever now anyways, nevermind my kids’ school-provided chromebooks.

• Krafty Kactus
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  02 months ago

Pretty sure someone who is giving their kids a Linux laptop knows enough to set up a firewall on their network…

• @_MusicJunkie@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          42 months ago

If someone has enough access to your system to covertly use the camera, then the camera is the last thing you need to worry about.

Nobody is interested in looking at you. Getting your payment data, or private data, that is much more interesting.

• @eveninghere@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            2 months ago

There are scammers who want your masturbation recorded. The Chinese Communist Party has a face database for surveillance.

• @_MusicJunkie@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              12 months ago

And if they have access to your computer, they can get much more useful information, both for extortion and surveillance.

• @eveninghere@beehaw.org
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                2 months ago

Nah, no reason to downplay webcams.

The average user’d probably get ransomware attack. And if not, cam girl scams. I’d have a look on r/scam rather than argue theoretical worst cases.

• FfaerieOxide
            link
            fedilink
            -12 months ago

Why would you give them that extra inch though? Cover your cameras.

• Possibly linux
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              2 months ago

You do you as we live in a free world. The only thing I would be concerned about it if it was illegal to cover your camera

• FfaerieOxide
                link
                fedilink
                02 months ago

You do you as we live in a free world.

You don’t know where I live.

The only thing I would be concerned about it if it was illegal to cover your camera

You not concerned about the possibility of someone spying on you? Regardless, treating cameras as eyes is damn good practice.

• @hornedfiend@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    -382 months ago

Is it wise to allow a 3 yo to use computers?

I’m not an expert by any means,but digital autism is no joke. This is just too much for their developing brains.

• @hornedfiend@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        -12 months ago

I do hope this had been understood as an IMHO,as usual with there sort of comments.

Interesting conclusion though:

" The results of this systematic review and meta-analysis, including a notable indication for publication bias as well as small and sometimes nonsignificant effect sizes, and the limitations just described suggest that the issue of screen time and ASD is far from being resolved. In fact, the slight superiority (although not statistically significant) of the clinical diagnosis variable over the ASD symptom variable we observed in the meta-regression brings forth the basic obstacle in this field, which relates to the directionality of the association, as discussed at the start of this work. Alongside the displacement hypothesis focused on the potential negative outcomes associated with screens, a large portion of the literature is dedicated to the opposite direction—that is, to the characteristics that draw children with ASD to engage in screen activities.16-18 As concluded in a previous literature review on this topic, children with ASD seem to “show increased interest in screen viewing… [which] begins at a very young age.”18(p308) It is also reasonable to assume that parents of children with clinically diagnosed ASD adopt a relatively permissive position regarding their children’s screen use. It is possible, then, that the observed (bidirectional) association of the current meta-analysis reflects this tendency of children with diagnosed ASD, at least to a certain extent, thus requiring us to continue searching for other explanations for the increasing global rates of ASD. Excessive screen time may indeed come at the expense of positive real-life activities and close familial relationships that could increase ASD risk. However, further research is needed to support this concern, as the increase in ASD prevalence may be attributable to a range of medical, environmental, and societal factors. "

This "Excessive screen time may indeed come at the expense of positive real-life activities and close familial relationships that could increase ASD risk. " still supports my original comment.

Thank you for providing this by the way,but it’s still a debatable topic,with no real conclusion other than it needs more research.

• @gfom@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          52 months ago

“Excessive screen time may indeed come at the expense of positive real-life activities and close familial relationships that could increase ASD risk.”

You can’t become autistic though. I was born with it, nothing made me autistic.

• @force@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Whether you have Autism is entirely cemented before you’re born. You can’t just “get” Autism after your born, although diagnosis may be difficult until a certain stage in development. Same goes for ADHD and other neurodevelopmental disabilities.

• @Affidavit@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      202 months ago

I think it’s likely that the type of content children are exposed to matters more than the medium. Children who are exposed early to digital technology will have an advantage in adapting to our increasingly digital society over those who are prevented from accessing digital media until they are much older.

GCompris is an educational program; it’s not equivalent to watching Spongebob (no offence to Spongebob).

• Lettuce eat lettuce
        link
        fedilink
        42 months ago

I agree. I was grew up playing lots of games like Incredible Machine, Sim City, Zoo Tycoon, Age of Empires 2, etc. They were technical and challenging mentally. Taught me a lot about money management, logistics, testing theories, and solving puzzles.

I also watched a lot of Nat Geo, Discovery and History Channel, (Before it enshitified) read lots of science encyclopedias and books, used the Encarta CD-ROM encyclopedia often.

My siblings and our friends also played outside a lot. Built forts, played paintball, explored the woods, that kind of stuff.

The medium matters much less than the content.

• Rustmilian
      link
      fedilink
      English
      102 months ago

It’s not “autism”, it’s brainrot induced from preditory content marketed at children.

• Rustmilian
          link
          fedilink
          English
          52 months ago

Elsagate is just the tip of the iceberg. It’s not just content engineered to be repulsive and disturbing. The entire industry pushes content ment to be addicting and manipulative.