• lorty@lemmy.ml
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Not long ago if you left your house you were unreachable. In fact, the only way someone was reachable was if they were home or at work and had a phone there. Imagine that, just not knowing where and how people were at all times.

• Wheaties [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Magnetic Ink smartphone

Keep the applications you want, in exchange for using the thing being slightly more of a pain in the ass so you use it less overall. And you can read it clearly in daylight, which is nice

• Tankiedesantski [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

When I leave the house I just mute my phone and put it in my pocket - no vibration, no ringing. I think it works pretty well personally. Depending on your personality, it might also work for you, at least as an initial step.

• YearOfTheCommieDesktop [they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

I’m already 90% of the way there, I don’t get rings, or even push notifications, for most messages, just calls and SMS (and I don’t use SMS for anything on that number). I just want to go further and eliminate the expectation that I’ll be reachable by simply not carrying a phone. But it won’t eliminate it, the actual problem is social :(