• bitsplease@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

voltage is a bit of a factor - electric kettles heat water more slowly (about half) in the US than in somewhere like the UK. There’s a definete cultural aspect as well, but I think more people would hop on it if (as in the UK) having one meant basically instant access to boiling water

• DAVENP0RT@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The amount of time it takes for our US kettle to reach temperature is ridiculous. My wife and I have a kettle that I only really use when I make us a pot of tea. It takes about 5 minutes to bring a liter of water to a boil and it doesn’t get much better with less water. If I’m just making one cup, I’m just gonna put it in the microwave.

I’ve seriously considered getting a 220V outlet installed just for a proper kettle. We like our hot beverages, so I kinda think it would be worth it.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Might need to descale your kettle. Mine doesn’t take 5 minutes to heat a liter, and it’s on 120v.

• bitsplease@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Totally agree, I used to use an electric kettle for my coffee every morning and while waiting for it to boil, I could

• hand grind my beans
        • empty the dishwasher
        • get the pour over setup
        • check my email

All before being ready to pour

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s still the fastest way to heat water. It’s just that people don’t really care. It has nothing to do with the fucking voltage.