cross-posted from: https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/1312651

TLDR: To remove by shaking one would need accelerations high as 24g, which can damage the ear. A couple drops of vinegar or alcohol in the ear will lower the surface tension and make the fluid easier to remove

• SnailMagnitude@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Thanks, will pop a wee dropper bottle in my swim bag and give this a shot.

If you stumble upon an article explaining how to reverse 40yrs of brain damage from post swimming head shaking pls let us know :)

• Salamander@mander.xyzM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Oooh, I usually don’t try to shake it out, I just accept to live my life with water in my ear until it naturally leaks. But this new trick will save me some annoyances in the future, thank you!

• teft@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I just stick a cotton swab up in there and have it suck up the water. But it doesn’t happen to me very often.

• GlennMagusHarvey@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Ahh, the good ol’ cotton swab, that they always say not to insert into ear canals yet people do so anyway because that’s what they use it for.

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve usually had good success turning that ear towards the ground and repeatedly jumping. At least it gets the water away from my eardrum which is good enough

• confusedwiseman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The tldr is above the article? This is far to logical for me. I skipped past it, got frustrated, read the article to post this info then saw it as I was replying…

It’s time for me to quit. Good night everybody!