HBO Max was renamed Max, and Warner Bros. Discovery lost subscribers::Warner Bros. Discovery lost 1.8 million subscribers in the second quarter of 2023 following HBO Max’s rebrand to Max. The company now has 95.8 million subscribers across all of its services.

• Bananajon2@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

You literally cannot change the fucking size of the subtitles anymore, at least on Android or Chromecast. So you’re stuck with giant letters, black background. It’s the most infuriating shit of all time, HBO Max had options to change these things, I can’t believe that 1 programmer couldn’t solve this in a single day.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I feel like Netflix is the only one with a sensible default subtitle size.

Everyone else is like “Oh, you need subtitles. ARE YOU DEAF? IF WE MAKE THE LETTERS EXTRA BIG WILL YOU HEAR THEM BETTER!”

No motherfucker, I just need them because modern audio mixing is a fucking mess and actors have started mumbling. This is what happens when all the stage actors retire or die. I never had trouble understanding Alan Rickman or Tim Curry. They didn’t need subtitles. But them you get Matthew McConaughey, and he’s all “mmmhmmhm Murph” even without the spaceship engine noises, like even his fucking name is mumbled. Fuck you.

• GreyBeard@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It doesn’t help that TVs don’t include decent speakers anymore. A soundbar is a minimum, although I’ve seen those start to cheap out on the speakers too. Poor audio quality makes humans less understandable.