• Nepenthe@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

So apparently if you smack it all around the sides of the lid with a spoon or something, you can loosen the vacuum seal.

It sounds fake but it worked the other night on a jar of salsa I was legitimately considering just breaking, and I’m still kinda mad that I never knew that til now.

• ilikecoffee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

I just insert something long and thin (usually a knife) between the lid and the glass rim, then gently lift just until the pressure is released. Probably doesn’t cause the lid to mis-shape as much as from bashing it 😅

• no banana @lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

I don’t, even though it’s a good idea, because it requires an extra tool. BONK just requires raw power!

• flicker@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I had to learn this trick to open those goddamned Talenti pints that are vacuum sealed for no damn reason and no, I’m not still salty about it, why do you ask?!

• XTL@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

If I lose the first round to a jar, I use a bottle opener for that. (Almost) No risk of stressing the glass.

• antipiratgruppen@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Insert the end of a cutlery knife between the rim of the glass jar and lid from below. Give it a tiny wiggle, and the jar will pop open. At least if it’s stuck because of a vacuum.

If that didn’t work, poke a tiny hole in the lid with a sharp object to break the vacuum, but please be careful if using a kitchen knife for this! A nail or a screw is probably a safer choice.

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

You might think that the knife frees the vacuum and that that’s what opens the jar. Lies. You must inflict fear upon the jar with the knife.