• TheBananaKing@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Australian here. We aren’t drowning in murderous wildlife.

We do have deadly creatures, but the average person will likely never encounter them.

… we did have to ban a peppa pig episode about making friends with random spiders because aaaaa dear christ no, but apart from that really it’s fine here…

• CheshireSnake@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nice try, murderous creature. I’m not falling for that.

Seriously, though, that makes sense. Lots of countries have dangerous wildlife but they’re mostly far from the big cities where people live. Plus Australia seems to have a large amount of land that’s not populated (I think? Never been there). What would be the most dangerous animal an average person in the big cities encounter? Venomous spiders?

• kilinrax@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

British. No idea how we have a reputation for politeness; borderline abusive piss-taking is standard between mates, as is referring to each other as cunts. Groups of lads, and particularly middle-aged pub goers, can often be lairy, loud, obnoxious, aggressive louts.

It’s baffling. Though in fairness, this stereotype exists mainly in the US. Countries we can get to via EasyJet or RyanAir have probably long been disavowed of this impression.

• Derrek@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I suppose you can say if it’s a stereotype, then it is partially wrong.

Viewing a little less than half the US as gun toting bigot patriots is of course inaccurate despite what elections lead you to believe.

It’s a much less percentage due to things like gerrymandering (to sum up it means voting districts are divided up by politicians to increase which party gets elected), lower percentage of voters, how loud the extremists are, how politicians need to appeal to extremism to increase chances of winning, things like that.