• STUPIDVIPGUY@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

forget cultural differences, and imagine yourself out there on a 35c day, and tell me which one is better.

• deranger@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Flowing robes 100%, literally designed for being in the heat and sun. 35C isn’t even that bad, it’s hotter in Texas.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

My understanding is that the fabric on burqas (or whatever those clothes are actually called) are extremely lightweight and provide shade, so they actually aren’t any warmer than t-shirts and shorts. Possibly because they block the sun, they might even be cooler.

But that’s simply what I have heard and I personally don’t care to find out either way.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Wild guesses…

Easier to clean.

Or maybe the material it’s made of, isnt white.

Or maybe because it has such little thermal mass, that it doesn’t matter.

• yimby@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Or because they liked the colours for aesthetic reasons haha.

Also choosing a cloth colour has nothing to do with thermal mass and everything to do with absorbtivity/emissivity/reflectivity aka material properties affecting radiative heat transfer.

In any case, shirt colour has a small effect on temperature, maybe a 5°C (at most) difference between white and black, according to some studies. So unless you’re really chasing the most optimal clothing, it’s best to just wear what makes you happy.

• nxfsi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Loose fitting black robes = somehow cooler due to convection schmonvection

• Noughmad@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I never tested it, but still wonder why nobody who wasn’t indoctrinated into it since birth doesn’t just decide to wear a burka in summer heat.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

The image above is a great example of the Virgin/Whore social complex. In each case, the woman is held to the demands of men. Women in robes are expected to appear perfectly chaste and insulated from the ravenous male gaze while women in bikinis are expected to be on display for the entertainment of those same men.

The shifting social expectations of a male-dominated social hierarchy decide which set of apparel is rewarded and which is shunned. In neither scenario is the woman genuinely considered free. She is simply subjected to a new set of burdensome social standards.

• Kwizi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Sun tan lotion doesn’t cut it for me, and I can go from white to red in a matter of minutes. So yeah, loose flowing clothes seem nice (not a fan of burqas esthetically but I never tried one so maybe they’re comfy?)