publicació creuada des de: https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/14108486

Go and check the link, but essentially:

• small
  • 2023 release (Android 13)
  • HEADPHONE JACK (I was almost sold here)
  • NFC
  • 8GB RAM (that is powerful)
  • 256 GB internal storage
  • Dual SIM or SIM+MicroSD
  • IR BLASTER (whatttttttt)
  • LED indicators (front AND BACK)
  • fingerprint scanner
  • face ID
  • FM Radio
  • PROGRAMMABLE BUTTON (ok I’m in love already STOPPP)

I mean… this list is mindblowing. So…

What’s the downside?

Honestly, you can go and check all reviews… but this phone is virtually perfect for the size, the only issue I have is that the screen is a bit too tiny, 3 inches, and 480p, and I think this will make many people run away.

It should make me look elsewhere also… but where? Any other small phone with a bigger screen is pretty bad, old, etc… and I really needed a new phone, so I realised this was an opportunity to commit to the cause, and buy and hopefully push this form factor from Unihertz to mainstream brands.

Hopefully one day we can get one with a slightly bigger screen, I believe 4 inches and 1080p would be brutal. But for now… I think I’ve found my new phone. In fact, I bought it 3 hours after knowing its existance.

If you are not sold yet…

Go check reviews on YouTube (example). Honestly, you’ll see every reviewer falls in love with the device, even non-small phone lovers. It looks like it performs pretty well, it’s decently fast, battery is solid, screen is bright and colorful, the LEDs are really useful, even Face ID (which I’ll probably disable) is quick, it does not heat up at all, and even photos are pretty decent…

And it’s something like 200 $. Come on. What a deal.

Will report back.

So, what do you think?

• nailingjello@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Seems interesting, but I’m hesitant to believe the processor or camera will end up being good. Also wondering how long they plan to provide software updates (or if it’s able to run custom firmware).

• unknowing8343OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

So far, reviews say great things about those 2, specially considering price. But again, I’ll report back when I get my hands on it.

• morrowind@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

On the contrary, this is all the more indication to me our era is over. The fact that the only small phone is one that’s ridiculously tiny, for others to point and laugh, and not just a regular, smaller phone.

Sorry to bring in the bad mood, and I hope you enjoy your jelly, but it doesn’t solve anything

• unknowing8343OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I get it. I wish there were more options like this. I am just happy that I finally have an option again. And judging by reviews and some owners, the phone sctually makes people quickly change their mind when they see it working.

• phanto@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

So, I own a Jelly 2.

I wish I could recommend it. Really, I do. I can’t though. The Jelly 2 dropped wifi all the time! I ate more data on that thing sitting in my house, ten feet from my router, merrily chewing away my LTE… Also, it dropped Bluetooth. My earbuds would stutter. And… It dropped calls.

I wish, I wish it would have worked, but it just didn’t.

The screen was a bit too small to be useful.

Ironically, another Japanese import phone is a whole different story. My Mode One Retro II? Fantastic! My prof calls me “flip phone”. The number pad is totally useless, but it fixes every issue I had with the Jelly, and it fits comfortably in my jeans’ pocket.

I hope your Jelly Star works, I really do. I hate the Jelly 2 though.

• unknowing8343OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That Mode 1 Retro II looks interesting! I checked the specs, and definitely the slightly bigger screen and 720p might be a lot better for some people. I still think I prefer the Jelly Star by specs, tho.

• RamSwamson@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Crazy that this comes up less than a week after taking a road trip with a buddy that has one. They LOVE it and it’s certainly a cool little device, albeit a bit of a thicc boi. I called it his little suppository. I would certainly consider getting one, but it definitely wouldn’t replace my bigger phone entirely. For basic phone tasks it worked fine, when we tried using it for navigation the screen was just so crowded it was impossible to read and we ended up using my phone instead. Then when around the hotel he still ended up using a bigger phone because I’m sure the eye strain it causes doesn’t help for browsing the web. It’s a great idea, I just can’t recommend it for full time use because some things just don’t display right on a screen that small. If you are wanting something strictly for phone calls and occasional texts then it’s a winner.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

It’s annoying that they don’t use edge to edge screen like a modern phone. It could have a 4" screen which would be larger than the original iPhone.

• unknowing8343OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

On one side, I understand. I also think a slightly bigger phone would have been a bit better. I have to (partly) disagree with the edge-to-edge. I believe smaller phones need some edges because of the way you hold them… But yeah, a slightly bigger 4 inch screen should allow for smaller bezels, and it would still be tiny compared to “”“compact phones”“” nowadays.

• rar@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I prefer thick edges tbh. Thin bezel is nice until I tap the border by mistake.

• GraniteM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’ve been using a Jelly Star as an mp3 player and I love it for that purpose. It also has the added utility of an IR blaster so I can use it as a universal remote when I want to. I’m tempted to use it as my everyday phone, since I think I’m on my phone a tad more than I’d like, and I think having a hilariously tiny phone might help with that, but I take a lot of pictures and the camera is just so-so.

• Hazor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If I hadn’t just replaced my phone, I’d be buying one right now. I think it’s probably a bit smaller than I’d find ideal, but … Gads, I’m tempted anyway.

• unknowing8343OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I was about to replace mind. I think the same, a bit of a bigger screen would have been amazing.