Go and check the link, but essentially:

• small
  • 2023 release (Android 13)
  • HEADPHONE JACK (I was almost sold here)
  • NFC
  • 8GB RAM (that is powerful)
  • 256 GB internal storage
  • Dual SIM or SIM+MicroSD
  • IR BLASTER (whatttttttt)
  • LED indicators (front AND BACK)
  • fingerprint scanner
  • face ID
  • FM Radio
  • PROGRAMMABLE BUTTON (ok I’m in love already STOPPP)

I mean… this list is mindblowing. So…

What’s the downside?

Honestly, you can go and check all reviews… but this phone is virtually perfect for the size, the only issue I have is that the screen is a bit too tiny, 3 inches, and 480p, and I think this will make many people run away.

It should make me look elsewhere also… but where? Any other small phone with a bigger screen is pretty bad, old, etc… and I really needed a new phone, so I realised this was an opportunity to commit to the cause, and buy and hopefully push this form factor from Unihertz to mainstream brands.

Hopefully one day we can get one with a slightly bigger screen, I believe 4 inches and 1080p would be brutal. But for now… I think I’ve found my new phone. In fact, I bought it 3 hours after knowing its existance.

If you are not sold yet…

Go check reviews on YouTube (example). Honestly, you’ll see every reviewer falls in love with the device, even non-small phone lovers. It looks like it performs pretty well, it’s decently fast, battery is solid, screen is bright and colorful, the LEDs are really useful, even Face ID (which I’ll probably disable) is quick, it does not heat up at all, and even photos are pretty decent…

And it’s something like 200 $. Come on. What a deal.

Will report back.

So, what do you think?

• @dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

And like all of these novelty phones, it has no 5G support and extremely narrow 4G band support, which means this will be nearly worthless for users in North America. And it will quickly become even more worthless as carriers are actively discontinuing their existing 3G and 4G bands.

This’ll work great for most people who don’t want to actually use it as a phone. I.e. it’d make a killer media playback device, remote control, or tiny PDA.

I was interested in their Titan a while ago but it, like all of their phones, has the same problem. There is no sense whatsoever in buying a new phone in 2024 that has such piddling network support.

• The Octonaut
      link
      fedilink
      English
      241 month ago

Nobody is disabling 4G bands except the bands they lied about being 4G in the first place?

• @unknowing8343OP
      link
      English
      211 month ago

4G is here to stay for a long while. It’s fast enough for 99% of cases and 5G only covers very small areas, and will only be used (at least for now) on crowded areas where it makes sense.

Also, this device has 480p screen… I think 4G is pretty fine.

• @skuzz
        link
        English
        151 month ago

5G covers the same area as 4G on a given frequency. They’re ostensibly the same technology on the air interface. The original name of 5G was “LTE2” in fact. Carriers are moving to 5G standalone where all voice, text, data are on 5G. In the US, T-Mobile has 5G on their band 71, which is 600MHz, likewise AT&T runs 5G on their 850MHz band. These bands can reach many miles away from a cell site. I regularly have seen a 5G connection to a site 8 miles away from me, for example.

The coverage will be practically the same as 4G, but slightly worse than 3G. (Which was also true for 4G.)

Carriers will likely do a slow roll over the next 5-10 years migrating 4G bands to 5G until only one or two are left on 4G for legacy devices. Not really an if, as much as a when.

• @accideath@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        71 month ago

Here in Germany two out of three mobile networks have almost full 5G coverage. 3G is already mostly dead. 4G will stay for a little longer but it’ll be replaced by 5G entirely, as soon as the carriers deem it financially worthwhile to ditch the older tech.

• @unknowing8343OP
          link
          English
          111 month ago

I don’t think 4G will get outdated in the next 5 years considering that 4G devices are still being launched today… And also considering that most people are just connected to Wi-Fi anyways…

I think we can be fine with this phone for 4/5 years and the Jelly Star 5G will probably be out there when the time comes.

• Alto
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            1 month ago

It’s less of a “the device will be fully useless in 5 years” thing and more of a “the device may be useless in the specific area you live in 5 years” thing, depending on the rate of the switching/shutdown of those bands. I was personally hit earlier than most people when the same thing happened with 3g.

• @graymess@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      121 month ago

The exact reason I opted not to get this phone. I kind of don’t understand why so many lesser known brands have such limited bands on their phones. Does it add that much to the cost?

• MrScottyTay
      link
      fedilink
      English
      81 month ago

I’m in the UK and I’ve not yet had a 5G phone. We’re also only having 3G turned off in the immediate future

• Alto
        link
        fedilink
        71 month ago

That would likely be why they specified North America

• MrScottyTay
          link
          fedilink
          English
          51 month ago

I’m just adding that it’s not the de facto just because it is in the US

• @Mnem667@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      71 month ago

I can tell you that it works fine using T-Mobile. It picks up the same bands as my LG V60 (with 5g turned off). I can’t speak about any other carrier, though.

• @Sanctus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    441 month ago

Headphone jacks, IR blasters, AND an FM radio? This phone never left the rad days of android.

• @unknowing8343OP
      link
      English
      171 month ago

Isn’t it crazy? When I found it I couldn’t believe my eyes. I mean… Hopefully it does not disappoint when I get it

• @Syn_Attck@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Please do update after you’ve used it as your daily driver for a month! Would love love love to hear about it.

Also if OP posts an update and someone happens to see this comment, will you reply here or tag me? TIA!

• Alice
    link
    fedilink
    English
    311 month ago

Unrelated, but I just want to say thank you for actually posting content that is relevant to the community. It’s enjoyable and appreciated.

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    181 month ago

I realised this was an opportunity to commit to the cause, and buy and hopefully push this form factor from Unihertz to mainstream brands.

You seem to forget that all phones used to be small. They didn’t stop making them because OEMs didn’t like them. They stopped making them because consumers didn’t buy them.

So while I appreciate the effort, I fear it is in vain. You’re swimming upstream.

• @skuzz
      link
      English
      121 month ago

It’s actually a bit more subtle than consumers not buying them.

When LTE came out, it was inefficient and used lower frequencies than cell phones used before. So they needed big phones that they could stick big batteries and antennas in.

Smaller phones existed, but often lacked features of big phones, and battery life was terrible due to the aforementioned power consumption problem. Likewise, reception suffered.

Now, the power problem has been solved and LTE uses less power than CDMA techs did. Antenna and radio design has improved to mitigate reception issues so smaller antennae don’t hurt as much as they once did. However, now phones have giant camera modules in them and antennae for a plethora of services and features they think people want like UWB, NFC, wireless charging. (They all have their place, just stating this because they aren’t “essential”.)

People stopped buying small phones because they were “terrible” by comparison. Then manufacturers claimed people didn’t want small phones, so they stopped making them. Now we are stuck because all the junk they throw in phones need all that space.

Tl;dr: the wireless industry killed small phones and blamed consumers.

• @unknowing8343OP
      link
      English
      111 month ago

I have not forgotten. And this is not so much swimming upstream but rather, as Captain America said, it’s more like planting yourself like a tree and say “no, you move”.

• warm
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 month ago

More so they upsold people to the bigger models. If they had exactly the same specifications other than size, I bet a much larger set of people buy the smaller one. The phone in this post does look a bit too small though.

• warm
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I mean other than screen size and battery size, they could have the same specs. It was a theoretical though, people like buying features they don’t need or just like to have the best they can, even if that means having a larger phone. I think anything past ~6 inch screens is just way too large, but some people enjoy their phablets, so I wouldn’t like to see that option disappear for them either.

• @FigMcLargeHuge@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      71 month ago

Yeah, this seems like a targeted ad written by some llm. I have a larger phone and still cannot stand the size of the “keyboard” on it… Can only imagine how fun it would be typing on that screen, even if the keyboard was fullscreen.

• @unknowing8343OP
        link
        English
        41 month ago

Oh, damn, so I write like AI, should I take that as compliment or criticism?

I am just a dude with small hands that did not know this phone existed until now. And I fell in love. That’s it.

• @FigMcLargeHuge@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          51 month ago

I guess a compliment. Sorry, this last year or so has made me very skeptical of anything I see online that seems a little spontaneous. So many companies trying to act like bros and just find something amazing they have to tell us about. Unfortunately it’s clouding up the posts where people actually do find something amazing. I like this, and would actually look into it if it had better comments on the U.S. coverage or bands. Still not sure how I would do with the keyboard, but I do like the small form factor. Apologies again if you are a real person. In the meantime I am going to need you to click on every picture that contains a gopher. :)

• @unknowing8343OP
            link
            English
            41 month ago

No worry, I understand. As I said, I will report back, and I am even thinking of uploading videos about this, specially if it turns out as good as it seems. I hate that neither MKBHD, LTT, JerryRig… No one showed this bad boy while they all cried that small phones are dying… Well, now I am starting to believe they might be part of the problem…

• @BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -31 month ago

Nah, OEMs had to make them larger to provide sufficient cooling surface area for the battery and cpu.

That was the first driver, and then marketing took over to make larger phones seem like a better choice.

Now that Android is much more power efficient (and the hardware is too), we could have smaller phones with only a modest reduction in performance.

Stuff like ceramic or glass backs were also as much about cooling, but marketed as a cool feature.

Ceramic and glass transfer heat far better than plastic. So when you’re running your flagship phablet at max to play a game, it can shed that heat much more readily, and also charge the battery at 15watts.

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        31 month ago

OEMs had to make them larger to provide sufficient cooling surface area for the battery and cpu.

No they didn’t. They put the same CPU in smaller models.

• themeatbridge
    link
    fedilink
    English
    131 month ago

Wow Headphone jack, programmable button, IR blaster…

Honestly, I love having a large phone because I have fat fingers and bad eyesight. I would absolutely buy this phone if it were larger. I might buy it anyway and learn to live with a small screen.

• @Dolphinfreetuna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    101 month ago

I didn’t find any information on long term software security support, and I don’t need phones to chase the latest Android releases, but the security updates are important to me.

I was excited when I bought Palm phone, but they didn’t support the security software soon after.

• @krash@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 month ago

This. I asked this question on unihertz kickstarter campaign page, and their answer was avoiding the question.

Major android versions are nice, but security updates are a must, or you’ll be taking huge risks with the data on your phone.

• @jodanlime@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    81 month ago

My buddy at work was looking for the smallest smart phone he could get, I helped him find the Jelly Star. He has been using it for a few months, and he loves it. Fits in his 5th pocket on most jeans and it’s a real head turner, everyone is confused and thinks it’s a dumb phone

• MrScottyTay
    link
    fedilink
    English
    71 month ago

I actually just got one a few days ago. Only issue i have is if you have a usb c cable for power and audio for use on a car or something it gets confused and won’t put audio through the cable. However standard usb c headphones do still work if you need them

• Alto
      link
      fedilink
      41 month ago

Can’t say they’d work 100% on this phone, but there are apps that allow you to switch your audio input/output that may help

• @unknowing8343OP
      link
      English
      31 month ago

I didn’t even know something like that was possible!

• MrScottyTay
        link
        fedilink
        English
        11 month ago

It was a must back when I was using my pixel 3 so I could listen to music and charge my phone at the same time since it didn’t have a headphone jack.

Now for for this use case I’m used to just having to put in one cable.

• Blaster M
    link
    fedilink
    English
    51 month ago

Bands: 2G GSM (bands 2/3/5/8), 3G WCDMA (bands 1/2/4/5/6/8/19), 3G CDMA2000 (bands BC0/BC1), 4G FDD-LTE (bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25/26/28A/28B/66), 4G TDD-LTE (bands 34/38/39/40/41)

As long as your carrier has LTE bands that it supports, I guess

• @skuzz
      link
      English
      21 month ago

Not too bad. Lacking band 71 won’t really matter on t-mobile as they are flipping that to full 5G in many markets. Band 41 still exists for speed in most places for now.

Missing band 14 will hurt long range coverage on at&t though, but still has 12 and 5 for long range on at&t (places like Nebraska where at&t doesn’t have any band 12 or 5 will have a bad time though.)

Band 13 means Verizon long range will work, if Verizon allows it on the network.

• @Hiro8811@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    41 month ago

The spech is amazing, that’s practically what I want in a phone, although I have one more requirement: Qualcomm CPU. I wanna install custom ROMs

• LiquidCrystalDude
      link
      fedilink
      51 month ago

@BeatTakeshi @unknowing8343
      asus had a gold on their hands with compact zenfones, then they had to mess it up by 2 years of support and an unlocked bootloader (which i would be personally fine with if the support was more than 2 years)

• @metaphortune@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    41 month ago

I love the idea! If there was good support from something like GrapheneOS or /e/OS I would be looking at one of these.