Am I the only one who enjoys games that have engaging stories. Sometimes I even turn the difficulty down, so that I enjoy the story and not struggle so much.

I mean challenging games can be fun sometimes, but nowadays I just feel that my life offers me enough struggles not to want another one while playing. For me games offer an escape of reality and I like them chill and casual but still with an engaging story.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Yeah dude, you’re the only one that enjoys a good story.

No one else has ever liked a good story before. Ever. Mutant.

• callouscomic@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Internet pro tip, if it begins with “am I the only one…” the answer is always no.

• Admetus@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I had the same thought lately that I just want a story based game to play, relax, maybe strategise a bit, like Baldurs Gate.

• filister@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah, my GPU is crap and I can’t play it. I tried to play it on the Deck but decided not to ruin my experience and play it when I buy a proper GPU, hopefully soon.

• subtex@lemmy.mlM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This has definitely been the case with me as well. Especially as I got older and had less time to play anything.

I’ve always been partial to story over mechanics though. I just think the preference has tilted much further in favor of story games now.

• DominusOfMegadeus@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I have been intending to do this with The Last of Us, because I am terrible at that game’s mechanics, but everything else about it is great.

• maxprime@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’ve tried playing that game a few times, but I’m ashamed to say that it is too scary for me lol

• cabhan
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Have you watched the show? The game is not for me, horrorness being a part of the reason, but the show was very well done.

• Kory@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I do that quite often - turn down the difficulty and simply enjoy the story. Sometimes, when a game is very long for example, but I still love the characters and the story, I watch one of those “game movies” of people who made different choices or followed different paths.

• Berttheduck@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I always enjoy a good story in my games. I particularly enjoyed the walking dead games. I’ve also just done a few runs of slay the princess which is a visual novel game with amazing voice acting and a romance/ existential horror plot. Quite short unless you do multiple runs but I’d definitely recommend it on sale.

• jeffw@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

This is why I avoid Souls style games. I’ve tried a couple and don’t find it rewarding to fail so much.

• nugget359@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Baldur’s gate 3 for me, easiest difficulty so I can play out the power fantasy and enjoy the story

• MurrayL@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Sounds like you need to play more adventure games! Point & click had it’s heyday in the 90s with outstanding story-based game series like Monkey Island, Broken Sword, and Gabriel Knight, but there’s been a resurgence in recent years through games like Gemini Rue, Machinarium, and Deponia.

If you’re enjoying Syberia, definitely start looking at more point & click games - there’s a ton of variety!

• terwn43lp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

danganronpa got me into visual novels. there’s also narrative games like telltale or life is strange

• filister@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I have both telltale and life is strange.

I liked Plague Tales but by the end those pesky rats were too much for my liking and a bit annoying. I am currently playing the last Syberia and enjoying it so far.

• caut_R@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I feel that way about sad games. There’s plenty reasons to be sad, I don‘t wanna be sad playing games. I need more A Hat In Time-s.

• graymess@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Unless a game somehow really sucks me in these days, I tend not to engage much with the stories anymore. It’s not at the point where I’m skipping cutscenes regularly, yet. I tend to play games in slow, broken up sessions, so there’s a very good chance that I won’t remember what happened in the story the next time I hop back in. At that point, I just hope I can remember how to play the game.

• Hucklebee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If action games are story heavy, I almost always start on lowest difficulty. If there are many Quick Time Events that don’t change the story, just some do-over if you fail, I check if I can make them easier. If they DO change the story if I fail, I play QTE’s on normal difficulty and live with the consequenses.

Favourite story game is Detroid:become human.