link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

It’s pretty amazing how they let that guy just harass a tank for several minutes and even climb on it, then just kinda let him be led away by bystanders.

For some reason growing up I think everyone assumed he got ran over or killed?

https://youtu.be/qq8zFLIftGk

• DessertStorms@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

For some reason growing up I think everyone assumed he got ran over or killed?

Because hundreds if not thousands of others were (others have already linked the graphic content).

Also, seeing him being led away in this footage is zero evidence that he survived his protest (unsurprisingly, there is no documentation of him or what the government did to him, but considering what they did to others like him, there is very little room to doubt that he didn’t make it).

• feedum_sneedson@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

I’ll play devil’s advocate - the photographs don’t seem to show evidence of thousands dying, or even hundreds necessarily. Dozens, absolutely. I doubt we’ll ever know the actual numbers, though. Clearly something awful happened.

Edit: I mean, they really don’t… and if they “only” ran over fifty civilians with tanks I think we can still consider that an unforgivable example of state violence. It’s not as if the Kent State shootings were okay because they only killed four people.

I’m just saying, I don’t feel the photographic record is a particularly robust source when it comes to supporting those higher claims. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen that way, just that the pictures are inadequate to prove that.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

I’ll play devil’s advocate

Devil’s one of the most powerful countries in the world, with people on this platform regularly repeating its propaganda, including in this thread.

Not sure the devil needs an advocate in this case.

• Syrc@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

It always does, imo. Most of the time devil’s advocate isn’t meant to actually “defend” anything, but to find flaws/imperfections in your logic so you can adjust it and when you have to argue with an actual Xi bootlicker “devil”, they’ll have less ammo to refute your point.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldM
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

It always does, imo.

Not always. Sometimes it’s just amplifying the devil’s arguments by repetition. Time and place, and all that jazz.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

The initial exaggeration was probably unintentional, due to second-hand eyewitness testimony getting relayed as fact in the middle of the chaos. But it was later used to pretend nothing happened, which clearly isn’t the case. My girlfriend is Chinese and has no idea anything ever happened in Tiananmen Square: she didn’t even know that date was censored online, so whatever they’re doing is working very well.

• Gabu@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

There are photos of dozens dead and tossed to the side like a garbage bag, both on the streets and in hospitals. Do you seriously think that’s the sort of thing which happens when only a few people died?

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

I don’t claim a strong position. I suppose if I had to say, I believe the estimates of between 2-800 dead, mostly in the streets surrounding Tiananmen Square, with a dozen or so police lynchings amongst that number. But it would be weird for me to be overly attached to that as an opinion, as the evidence is unclear. I think Beijing hospital records suggest about 400, so that seems like a safe lower estimate.

• Gabu@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

I think Beijing hospital records suggest about 400

That’d be the 400 they managed to find with their bodies in a good enough condition to identify. Have you seen the literal human paste?

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

Yes, it’s a reasonable minimum estimate. What is it that you’re disagreeing with? I’ve certainly seen all the pictures. But have a read about the declassified diplomatic cables, it’s interesting. Notably, the mountains of flesh being burned with flamethrowers probably didn’t happen. I have no stake in that, it’s the current position held by the US Government. What happened is still monstrous.