• takeheart@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Let us hope that one day the US, or any democracy for that matter, will come together to implement ranked choice voting.

• disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Until that day, let’s hope people recognize that there really are only two votes that will end up counting. I still regret voting for Nader when Bush stole the election in 2000.

• Zachariah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Let’s also hope that people realize voters who don’t vote far outnumber third-party voters.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

There should be some improved turnout in the 18-24 range now that abortion and marijuana are on the ballot in several states this November.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

What you wrote is a simplification and it’s also wrong in general. For people who don’t live in swing states, one vote more or less isn’t going to change the election. This is especially true if you’re in an obvious minority in your own state.

Also, the two established parties realize that people think what you think, and that gives them an excuse not to represent their base. The term used back in Bill Clinton’s days was “triangulation”. One of the ways of keeping presidential candidates honest is to vote for third parties if necessary.

Finally, it’s important to keep in mind that the stance you have here is something that many of us have heard for decades.

• Ookami38@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

And it’s all still true, as long as we have a voting system that is essentially actively detrimental to yourself if you try to express anything other than R or D on the voting ballot.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Democrats aren’t taking advantage, republicans are. Why do you think independent candidates are funded primarily by GOP PACs but use moderate platforms? They know anyone educated enough to find value in a moderate candidate would never have voted for Trump.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

We can acknowledge that Trump is a fascist and people need to vote for Biden or there is a real possibility of not being able to vote again.

We can also acknowledge that as a result Democrats don’t have to try very hard and can present a boring “mostly status quo” candidate under the banner of “what are you going to do, let a fascist win?”

Yes, it sucks. We can acknowledge it sucks. Personally I think the best way to correct course is if the Republicans lose hard to send the message that they need to be putting forward reasonable candidates to stand a chance, at which point it would be reasonable to not vote for disappointing Democratic candidates.

We can still acknowledge that what is being offered isn’t stellar.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

I agree that he’s not stellar. So do the polls. My point is that third-party candidates aren’t spoiling the republican nomination, even though they’re funded by republicans. They’re running specifically to pull anti-Trump votes from Biden, and have a real effect on the potential for a second term for Trump.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

I agree, the point OP was making is that Biden and the Democrats are taking advantage of Trump being the nominee by not trying very hard because “who else are you going to vote for?”

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  3 months ago

I follow. Biden knows he’s polling way too low to be strong-arming the vote. That’s not what is influencing his lack of action regarding Netanyahu. This is how the US have handled the Iran-Israel proxy conflict since the 80’s. I do not think it’s right either. I do know that republicans have wanted an active Iranian war for decades though. That’s why the House is stalling the Ukraine/Israel support bill that’s already passed the Senate in favor of the new Israel aid bill currently being drafted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Israel_proxy_conflict

• anticolonialist@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

They are taking advantage of the situation by ignoring voters telling him to stop genocide. They believe they can do whatever they want and voters will still reward him with another opportunity to keep doing it.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

The US has always been too easy on Israel. I agree that Biden needs to stand firm on his recent insistence of diplomacy after the attack, and take action if Netanyahu doesn’t agree to follow.

The honest truth is that none of the other choices will be better, and Trump will be far, far worse.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

The honest truth is that none of the other choices will be better, and Trump will be far, far worse.

This is exactly what taking advantage looks like.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    3 months ago

“You have to vote for us no matter how badly we behave because the alternative is worse.”

That is taking advantage. If you don’t see that, I can’t explain it any more clearly.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

Democrats aren’t taking advantage

Yes, they absolutely are. It’s why they’re supporting the genocide every last centrist has always wanted. They can get away with it because the other option is worse.

• CopernicusQwark@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

or any democracy for that matter

Australia sends its regards.

It is really nice knowing that I can safely vote for our “green” party without risking our conservative party getting in because the centre-left party loses too many votes.

Also, voting being mandatory (and very accessible) and on a Sunday for federal elections is such a game changer for ensuring participation.

Hopefully you guys can get reforms in at some point.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Low voter turnout benefits the Republican Party in the US because conservatives are more consistent voters. Reform requires 60 votes in the Senate out of 100. That makes it almost impossible because one of the major parties is not interested in reform.

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I think most Democrats are interested in reform that would boost turnout. Higher turnout is usually good for Democratic candidates.

• DreamlandLividity@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Sure, but that is not the same as allowing another parties to take their votes that do turn out.

Just look around here on lemmy, the democrats are milking the “we are the only alternative to hate and bigotry” for everything it is worth. I expect they would not even keep half their voters if a better alternative to voting republican existed.

• Eatspancakes84@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Most countries with presidential systems have two-round voting which is effectively very close to ranked choice voting. That’s why e.g. Macron’s new party could immediately win the presidency.

• 11111one11111@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I know it’s a flawed system but how else would you ensure everyone of our 300 million citizens are properly represented? I also recognize the preverse exploitation the EC allows but without it you would have every state voting whichever candidate the lagest Metropolitan region votes. The only presidential election that NY state ever voted republican for was the a Regan landslide which wasn’t even a testament to the victor. It was a result of the challenging candidate not winning a single fucking district other than his own and the district for his home town iirc. Yes a lot can be said for the benefits of not having current Republicans in office but this country never stays still very long and there is no way of knowing 10-20 years from now that the democrats won’t evolve into a super toxic party. Which without the EC would bind us to the scenario I explained above where we would have no escape.