I’m German and seems ‘we’ rely more on file hosters than torrenting. There are lots of tv series and movies with both the original audio track and the dubbed one on sites like funxd, serienjunkies, serienfans… They mostly redirect to a filecrypt.cc folder and then I get a DLC file to download the parts from turbobit or rapidgator (one-click hosters.)

What setup am I looking for, if I were to automate this? I’m aware of the Megathread but I didn’t find the correct software to index those sites and then what kind of download manager people use nowadays. (Ah yes, and I don’t want to pay for premium accounts.)

Edit: Replaced “one-click hosters” with “file hosters”

• brainstorm@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

The *arrs unfortunately don’t really work that well with oneclick hosters. I had a setup of jdownloader combined with filebot and a sharehoster premium account once in a while, and then using Plex to access the media. Since then I switched to *arrs in combination with Usenet and am glad I could leave the oneclick hosters behind. Especially when you are frequently paying for them, it’s absolutely worth the money (Usenet providers and indexers are mostly paid and I would recommend against free ones). If you are interested, this guide is an excellent entrypoint.

• rufusOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Thank you. I have to think about that. But I’m kind of opposed to pay. I’m not sure if I’m alone with that, but it feels wrong to me, to pay someone to handle stolen goods for me. That’s not my idea of piracy. I’d rather wait 3 days for those super slow downloads to finish. But you’re probably right and someday I should visit the Usenet and see what it’s all about.

• brainstorm@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Then I can only recommend jdownloader to collect the links and download the files and filebot for organizing and consistent naming. The sharehosters cannot really be automated, because they have captchas everywhere and there exists no standardized index (like for torrents or Usenet). Instead, everything is forum based (like Serienfans or movie fans). And for just organizing manually downloaded files, I found the *arrs not really feasible.

• rufusOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Alright. Thank you very much for the info.

• rufusOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Hmm, I’ve just tried pyload for a few days. I have some UI bugs with captchas being displayed in an area that is too small. And they seem to be in the process of rewriting something so the android app doesn’t work. And all the drag and drop, rearranging queues etc is a bit cumbersome or not there. And it starts extracting the archives only after the whole season/package got downloaded. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong. But it works. I like that I can run it directly on the NAS without loading a desktop environment plus a gigabyte worth of Java stuff.

• ShortN0te@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

It had its quirks back when i used it so you are probably doing everything right and are just encountering bugs.

Left one click hosters behind a long time ago. Not worth the effort. Sad to not get german dubs but it is how it is.

• angelsomething@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

How can I get started on usenet? I’ve been wanting to use it for years but never figured out how…

• shrugal@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Get a Usenet provider, a download client and a few indexers, set them up, and start downloading. Maybe automate with *arr apps at some point.

Some suggestions:

Most indexers let you search for free on their website, but grabbing download links and using their API with *arr apps is limited (e.g. 10 downloads and 100 API queries per day) unless you pay for VIP access (usually about $10/year/indexer). So you can try out a few, maybe pay for one or two that give you good results, and keep using the rest within the limits of free accounts.

• brainstorm@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Are you German? Then this guide would probably be the best way to start. If not, I cannot really recommend a good guide. But you’ll essentially need a Usenet provider (like eweka.nl) to access the Usenet and an indexer (like SceneNZBs) to find stuff. These two can be combined with e.g. SABnzbd as a downloader and the *arr software suite to automate the discovery and downloading of media.