cross-posted from: https://programming.dev/post/12886362

• After suing Google years ago for its alleged monopolistic practices regarding Android and the Google Play Store, Epic won in a surprise jury verdict last year.
  • As part of the decision, Epic has been tasked with submitting a proposed injunction to the court for consideration. In simpler terms, the court wants to know what changes Epic wants to see on the Google Play Store and Android.
  • The court filing comes a few weeks after Epic announced that it will bring the Epic Games Store to iOS and Android as an alternative app marketplace “later this year.”
  • umami_wasabi@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

This is something I’m unsure of. While I agree that there should be less obstacles to third party app stores, and sideloading, I’m not sure about taking warnings away is a wise choice. Especially when people are comfort and used to no warnings when using Google Play and other equivalents. Most just doesn’t do basic digital hygine. A better route is to bring down Google Play from its system app status and become a normal one, and warnings for everyone.

• Gamma@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I agree. I understand the need for third party app stores, but first party are already a security nightmare.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I agree, a reasonable amount of warnings is perfectly acceptable and dare I say even necessary.

I just went through a new phone process, which for me involves side loading a couple different apps, there was like 1 main warning to turn on side loading in general and then I had to allow individual apps to install other apps (Like Droid-ify, since it’s an app store it’s gotta be allowed to install other apps) and I wasn’t bugged again. A reasonable system IMO.