Hiya peeps, my mouse mat has served its time, and it is time for a new one. Until now, I’ve had one of these huge ones, that cover half the desk. But I think this time I’m gonna aim for a normal-sized one. I’d also like to avoid cheap Chinese wares or anything low-quality. Anyone got any nice recommendations for mousepads? Do you have soft ones or hard ones? wink Are there any brands out there that stand out among the plethora of choice in terms of quality?

The most important aspect of it for me is the “feel good” factor.

edit: Bonus points if there are any Linux-oriented ones, as in merch. And minus points for amazon links :>

Lemmy know :)

• CaptDust@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I didn’t think about it too much but the Steelseries QcK has done me well for years. It’s a thin, soft mat with a nice sliding not too rough surface. Comes in different sizes.

• wiLD0@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’ve been using QcK mousepads for over 2 decades now. Still happy with them.

• Sunny' 🌻@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Just had a look at these actually, good reviews across the board it seems. Looks promising!

• WFH@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I concur with the person above. I have a 4yo QcK Edge mat that still looks and feels almost new. If you thoroughly soak and clean them when they start to get grimy they’ll keep their properties for a very long time.

• terminhell@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Eh, just grab one from Walmart or office depot. At about 5$ it’s effectively disposable. A mouse pad is something I have a hard time dropping more than 10 on. They all end up stained, corner bending etc.

• vividspecter@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Steel series pads tend to be pretty good and have lasted for me, although I don’t play competitive fps anymore so that’s a major part of it.

• Eczpurt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Artisan makes some quality deskpads if you are interested in spending a little extra. Otherwise a generic deskmat will do the trick and you won’t be too worried about dirtying it or ruining it.

Can’t say I’ve run into Linux oriented mouse/deskpads but it’s likely one search term away!

• Sunny' 🌻@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah saw these while browsing, a little too expensive for being a mouse pad imo, but the do look very clean and high quality!

• Codilingus@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Check out Lethal Gaming Gear’s own in house imitations. I myself have their Saturn XL. It’s a nice feel to it, a little.bit squishy, 0 skin irritation, and the texture is fantastic for FPS shooters which is what I normally play. I forget which Artisan it’s supposed to mimic, though.

• RvTV95XBeo@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I used to have a hard mousepad, because I thought it was “cool”, but in retrospect it was basically no different than just using my desk would have been. They’re noisy, and 99% of them just give off edgy gamer vibes.

Cheap neoprene (or similar) mousepads are all about the same in terms of performance, but pricier ones typically look better and may last a little bit longer.

Recently I’ve upgraded my setup to a wool one from here: https://grovemade.com/desk-and-mouse-pads/

Its been about a year and I still love it, but I will note that I can see how the slightly rougher texture could be a turnoff for some people. They do have other options with different natural materials you may be interested in. IMO, all of their options look classy AF, and I like the use of more natural materials

• Sunny' 🌻@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

wow wow wow! Seriously, thanks for sharing this one! These look like great quality and exactly the kind of pad I was looking for. Love the variety they have as well.

Have a splendid day 🌻

• Willdrick@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’ve used an A2 Olfa cutting mat for a long time (those dark green ones with the grid)

It was really beat up but the underside was pristine. Mice glided a lot. after getting a new mouse I decided to get a traditional cheapo deskmat because I didn’t want to wear the mouse skate pads.

• FartsWithAnAccent@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I have a metal one I got for father’s day a few years ago that I like pretty well but most of the time I just use my desk unless I’m traveling.

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I personally use a very thin hard plastic mousepad that sticks to the table, the Razer Sphex v3: https://www.razer.com/gaming-mouse-mats/razer-sphex-v3

It can be very loud to move your mouse on at first (also depending on the skates on your mouse), but once the texture wears off it’s very, very smooth.

It’s not very durable, take it off a few times and it’ll probably not stick well to the desk anymore (it doesn’t ruin your desk though). I still like it the most though.

• Mazoku@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I used a HyperX Fury S XXL for 4+ years with no issues before switching to a glass mousepad. I’ve heard Artisan mousepads are really good, or Artisan clones like the LGG Saturn Pro

• Dr Jekell@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I have used a Logitech G440 Hard Gaming Mouse Mat for the last 20 something years.

It’s gotten a bit battered and starting to de-laminate on one edge but it’s still perfectly usable even after all these years.