TL;DW

If it’s your primary residence, zero.

If it’s a revenue generating secondary property, an extra 20k for every 400k of gains.

I love that the “wealth manager” they interviewed is making such a big deal about how it will affect people who would never have need of his services because they’ll never have wealth, let alone enough to need management. Playing up the “imagine being taxed because your mom died!” angle.

• Kichae@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

“imagine being taxed because your mom died!”

Imagine being taxed because you sold your mom’s house, months or years after she died.

What next? Eliminating property tax because the property was once owned by someone who has since died?

• Someone@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Jokes on him, I’d pay nothing because that’s my only hope (very much for lack of a better word) at owning my own home.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Imagine

Imagine a new lead-in. The fleek litchally base lul crowd has overused that phrase so much it’s now a misophonia trigger.

you sold your mom’s house, months or years after she died

But it wasn’t her house. Shortly after mom passed on, it’d be Your house. That’s how inheritance works.

• Kichae@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Shortly after mom passed on, it’d be Your house.

Touche.

Imagine you sold your spare house, months or years after your mother died.

• a9249@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The greediest people in the world hoard wealth; while the most generous have none.

• Papamousse@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I saw some middle class people crying because for their retreat they are selling their plex 1 million and will only have 972’000$ because of the new tax and their retreat is fucked up and their world is crumbling…

• SamuelRJankis@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This will likely do more for housing affordability then the rather large list recently released of housing items plus the billions the Liberals plan to spend.

Hopefully more people will realize we should fix the things fundamentally wrong with housing instead trying to buy our way out of a broken system.

• psvrh@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

This has a “election reform” feeling about it: something the LPC is talking about in order to get progressive cred, but that they don’t really want to do and will either a) abandon if they’re elected or b) not have to do if they lose.

They could have raised capital gains in 2016.

• PipedLinkBot@feddit.rocksB
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Here is an alternative Piped link(s):

this

Piped is a privacy-respecting open-source alternative frontend to YouTube.

I’m open-source; check me out at GitHub.