The show’s good btw…

• orgrinrt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Just an anecdote: Any bike I’ve ever owned, got stolen or if it was well locked, wrecked and hacked to shit for no apparent reason. I have ADHD so it’s difficult for me to go through the motions of carrying the bike with me to the office and back, each time I leave, and at home I haven’t the space to bring it up with me. Most grocers or markets or shops don’t allow me to wheel it along with me inside.

It would be amazing if that was an option, but I’m not rich enough to replace a bike every few months, and I do move enough to warrant having a good bike, not just any cheap and rusty one. So it’s a pickle.

I am still very much in opposition of unnecessary cars in cities, so I do not own one currently, and instead of bike, I move about with buses and trains. It’s okay, but I’d love to have the freedom some days, that a bike provides.

But it is simply impossible for me to own one. It makes no sense whatsoever, since for some reason, the cities are not even close to safe to keep one for someone like me who’s not so great with self-execution and routines. And I live in one of the safest countries on earth, that has been declared the happiest country on earth for 7 years in row now… I can’t imagine how bad it is elsewhere…

Sometimes reality does not fit well with ideals.

Luckily, I have the option of public transport. But I don’t even know what I would do if I didn’t…

• Taalnazi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      Nederlands
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s surprising. I own a bicycle too, as does practically everyone here. Never got it stolen.

A tip is to not have an expensive looking bicycle, but one that looks shoddy. Locking can also happen in multiple ways, and at different places. You might need to bind it to a street light for example, through the wheel and the frame.

A foldable bicycle is also an option.

• orgrinrt@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Most everyone I know have and daily drive one too.

The difference is in the having adhd and not having adhd department. They are very careful and dutiful with them. I can only ever attempt my best to be so, and it only takes the one slip of the mind and it’s gone.

I’m not saying having and using a bike is not safe. I’m saying having and using a bike is not safe, if you end up offering the low hanging fruit to thieves even once a while.