• Dagamant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Give it to my ADHD wife and tell her its important. it will never be seen again.

• neidu2@feddit.nlM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Step 1: Unplug a network cable from my switch in the basement.
    Step 2: Run up to the loft and open the chimney access hatch.
    Step 3: Figure out which cable i unplugged, and pull it up 3-4 meters.
    Step 4: Straighten out the paperclip and stick it inside the insulation of the cable.
    Step 5: Drop the cable back down into the chimney and reconnect it.

Yes, I use my otherwise unused chimneys for cable runs.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

[off topic]

Reminds of a great old movie; “A Man, A Woman, and A Bank.” No spoiler, because they explain the plot in the first five minutes of the movie.

Two engineers see that a giant bank has decided to build their brand new headquarters downtown. They plan to sneak in and steal the plans for the security system before it’s installed. It’s much easier to break into a construction site than a completed bank.

• neidu2@feddit.nlM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

The ones I didn’t unplug can’t be pulled back. It takes half a second to give each cable a gentle tug.

• EddoWagt@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

You think you can feel that that easily from the other side of the house? All of those cables will have a lot of resistance

• neidu2@feddit.nlM
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Yes. It’s a straight vertical drop, with the switch pretty much at the bottom of the chimney. The only resistance is the weight of 10 meters of suspended cable segments.

• BeefPiano@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m just giving it to the detective and losing the money. The detective would do more than $100k damage to my house looking. Checking behind the drywall, under the carpet, tearing open my mattresses, opening my appliances, etc.

Cheaper to save the repair bill.

Now if they pay to fix everything, I use a hammer to open holes in every wall as a misdirection and hide it in the flooring or framing.

• Anas@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

If they were paying, I assume they’d pay to restore the house to the state it was in before the detective started. Whatever damage you caused would probably not be fixed.

• Ragnarok314159@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I am handing it to my toddler and saying “this is important, don’t lose it”.

Detective has a zero percent chance of ever finding it.

• _sideffect@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Turn off the power to the house

Stick the paperclip in an outlet

Turn on power to the house

When the detective goes to grab the paperclip, he dies, you take the 100k

• Zulu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

You’re all fools. This is clealy posted by a detective stumped looking for the paperclip. Stop giving him ideas!

(Cut up the paperclip with wire cutters, put it in food. Eat food through the day)

• RBG
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That raises the question if that still counts as in your home and if you are allowed to manipulate the paperclip at all.

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

How honest is this detective? Perhaps one can simply offer them 50k of the resulting prize money to not look too hard.

• the post of tom joad@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I would buy a few thousand dollars worth of paperclips and hide them all over the house. The detective will have to waste time verifying which paperclip is the right one while i laugh and laugh

• Godnroc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Step 1. Mask the item. Change its size, shape, outline, or appearance. In this case, straighten out to be just a bit of wire. Step 2. Fight gravity. Items fall down normally, so hide it somewhere against gravity. Anywhere you couldn’t normally reach is a good start. Step 3. Reach around. Hide the item in a location you can reach, but cannot see. In this case, the air return would be a good place I could reach into and hide a small piece of wire by wedging into the drywall. Step 4. Distract. Take the other boxes of paper clips and scatter them throughout the house. Welcome to the haystack. Step 5. Admit nothing. If they ever claim to have the paper clip, do not check the correct location until the time period has elapsed.

• Baphomet_The_Blasphemer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

My house was built in the early 1900s and was used to secretly store and distribute liquor to the town and surrounding areas during prohibition… that money is as good as mine.

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

What you dont know is that the detective is from your home town, is 118 years old and was drunk as a skunk during those years.

Hobbling centurian drunk detective is gonna getcha.

• Baphomet_The_Blasphemer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

118 years old? Well, in that case, all I have to do it put the paperclip upstairs. Without one of those stair climber chair lifts, I doubt he’d even be able to get up there to look for it.

• Pulptastic@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Straighten it and snip it into 4 brad nails. Tap them into your molding at random places in the house. Preferably places with unpainted brads in it, such as stained wood molding.

• mojo_raisin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Or it’s pigs getting ideas of where people hide things.

I would assume the pigs are going to find it and make them suffer for it by having to waffle strain a bag of cat shit .