I’m thinking in the U.S. and Canada. For example, if you’re on vacation, you’ve checked out of your hotel room and have several hours until your flight, and you have some cans of beer left over. I know you could sneakily drink them in a park or something, but I’m just curious if there’s any way to do it that’s legal.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Drinking laws are local, or at least county level in most places. My town doesn’t have any about drinking in public at all, just about drunkenness. The next town over is no public drinking at all, not even on your porch.

So there’s no single answer, it will depend on where your are within the US. Couldn’t say anything about Canada though, never been and don’t know enough.

Be warned though, you may not be able to board a flight if you’re drunk.

• Dasus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

The next town over is no public drinking at all, not even on your porch.

Ah, freedom.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Don’t like the laws in your town? Your free to petition to change them.

I’ve lived in places with drive-through liquor stores where I could buy a gin and tonic in a styrofoam cup and drive away.

• Dasus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Oh dude, I’m Finnish.

We have everyman’s rights.

It makes me giggle a bit that the US, which frequently has fits about “freedom” is such an authoritarian state you can’t even drink on your own porch.

• Starb3an@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Las Vegas doesn’t give a fuck how drunk you are to enter the airport. Literally had to guide and push my drunk coworker through TSA. I’m not sure if he even remembers getting on the plane.

• Notyou@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I always assume those No Drunks rules is just to make sure the loud drunks stay quiet. Many people have a few drinks in the airport bar and stumble to the gate. As long as the drunk isn’t being loud then they are mostly ignored.