Here is a message from his family

• @drcobaltjedi@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1610 months ago

A lot of the comment’s I’ve seen everywhere over this news is “exiting vim” out of respect and admiration. They aren’t being disrespectful but honoring the legacy that he fostered, and remembering the hard parts of his software.

• Johnny
          link
          fedilink
          English
          210 months ago

There’s a difference between making a vim reference and “oh, a mourning family message? quick, i must find a stale joke to crack for internet points”

Feel free to tell yourselves this is respectful. I think some people here have been on the internet for too long.

• @Bookmeat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I miss the days when it was common to use this syntax in messenger apps. Or abbreviated to s/wrong/fixed.

• @CoderKat@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I’ve worked in a few places that were full of Linux nerds (including my current job). We totally use sed style replacements and joke about vim escape keys (especially the classic :q). So you just need nerdier friends (as in ramped up to 11).

• @twistypencil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1810 months ago

Technically, that is not vim specific, conning from sed and ed, but definitely worked in vim as well as all vi clones

• @chinpokomon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        510 months ago

This is why it works so well. It’s also one of the reasons I prefer vi over other text editors. It isn’t always the most logical which commands and keys do what, but I like the consistency.

• @grte@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    6710 months ago

Pretty much any program I use I try to shift over to vim style keys. This guy’s reach went far beyond vim to me.

• @DocMcStuffin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      5210 months ago

The hjkl keys came from Bill Joy when he wrote vi. The terminal he was using had arrows printed on those keys because it didn’t have dedicated arrow keys. It was a natural progression to reuse those keys for navigation.

vim was a huge improvement over vi. To where it became the defacto replacement. Some distros even shipped vim as a replacement for vi. That was because the Linux Standard Base required vi to be present.

Still a huge influence. vi was a bit painful to use when coming from vim. Would hjkl have died out if it wasn’t for vim? IDK. I think it would have been relegated to a niche corner of the unix/linux world.

• lontong
        link
        fedilink
        3410 months ago

The terminal he was using had arrows printed on those keys because it didn’t have dedicated arrow keys.

That terminal was also responsible for ~ used as home dir in path and ^ as beginning of string in regex.

• @Tentaclius@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    4310 months ago

The guy onse famously responded to the question of how the community can ensure that vim project succeeds for the forseeable future with “keep me alive”. Seems like there is our fault :(

RIP the legend. Keep Vimming.

• BudgieMania
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I probably owe that man a good part of my living. Proof that even gods are mortal

• @PutangInaMo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Great words. He may be gone now but he’s got all us nerds in here thanking him and pondering the good ol days where his passion helped so many. Shit could be our eulogy from lemmy.

• topperharlie
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3110 months ago

RIP ☹️

what an amazing editor he developed on top of vi, he’ll be remembered

• @cloudy1999@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2510 months ago

This news hit me hard this morning. Bram’s work has directly benefited my career for decades. He was a good human being who did good things. RIP Bram

• abrer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1410 months ago

RIP and thanks for all the hard work I’ve benefited from over the last decade.

I’ll think of this man while explaining vim to my new hire next week.

• Ghostface
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1410 months ago

:f For the sophisticated users, for the gen pop :q!

• deBaron
    link
    fedilink
    English
    910 months ago

That’s very sad to hear. Bram had a significant impact on me and how I use my computer. Rust zacht, Bram.

• @jeanma@lemmy.ninja
    link
    fedilink
    English
    910 months ago

R.I.P. Bram.

I use VIm every day, I enjoy using it, I am still in awe when discovering stuff, still after 17y!