It seems like they are cutting as much symbolism as they can out of the shots they decide to keep in the show but every other episode feels like " We’re a family with 9 kids and everyone is homeschooled. Oh yeah and we just happen to be active in our church too."

Like, no shit you’re active in the church… Normal people do not have a quiver full of isolated kids like that. It’s not normal or healthy.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

alright. Lets look at the neglect angle, for example. lets use a typical “traditional” family where one parent earns enough money to allow the other parent to stay home and care for the kids. Lets say that the working parent works fifty hours a week on average. (this is probably being very generous here. More likely 60-80 in todays realities.)

So, for the working parent: There’s 168 hours in a seven day week. so just working fifty hours comes down to to 118. lets say they have a half hour commute. That’s another five hours. down to 113. Now lets say, they like to sleep for six hours a night- 42 hours a week-. we’re now down to 72 hours available. Five hours a week to up keep (paying bills, maintenance on houses/cars/yardwork.) throw in social obligations (lets say three hours to go to church on Sundays, and an hour on Wednesday nights.) 68 hours of available time.

Assuming all this time is spent on the children, because, you know, they’re responsible adults who really love their kids, and absolutely none of it is spent drinking beer in a boat because their kids are little monsters, the available hours per kid starts going down dramatically:

now for the stay-at-home parent:

We start again with 168 hours per week. Six hours of sleep a night takes us down to 126. Ten hours a day spent cleaning, cooking, laundry, and similar such things: we’re down to 56. lets say another

I can already hear you screaming “BUT THEY"RE AROUND”. no. they’re not. They’re busy doing shit. they might (might) be engaged enough to keep the kids from killing each other, but I’m not holding my breath given the general intelligence of the average kid and how quickly things can go from bad to dead.

but this isn’t about if they’re just around, or not, this is about the parent’s time as a resource that’s finite; and so the question isn’t ‘are the around’ but how many hours in a day can each parent contribute to a single kid in a dedicated, intentional manner. and with that, the hours each kid gets, from the stay-at-home parent:

are you really going to sit here and tell me that kids who receive 10 hours a week of invested parent-time are going to come out to be as capable and successful and well-adjusted as someone whose receiving over a hundred hours a week? And this goes with every other resource kids require growing up, including financing (for education, healthcare, and activities.) Or even better yet, also sees their parents having healthy social relationships and making healthy life choices (like self-care)

Now for some simple, cold, hard facts: kids didn’t choose to come into this world, neither did they choose which families. They gain no benefits from being in a large family over being a in a small family. The parents are choosing to impose hardship and probably life-long poverty on their children simply because they couldn’t’ figure out a condom; or decided that their wanting a small pet that looks like them happens to outweigh any responsibility those parents owe them.

oh. and by the way… why do you care what we think? you could just not be in this community. it’s okay. (Pot. meet. kettle.)

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That is so depressing when you see the stark numbers like that. I will spend time with my daughter as much as possible, even now that she’s a teenager and wants a lot more alone time. Any time she needs to talk, I will have time available for her. But these parents? Forget it. You need a lengthy heart-to-heart about something that’s really troubling you? You’re not going to get it from mom or dad, so you better hope Sister #6 is around and likes you.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

One thing I really didn’t mention is that childcare is going to take up all the free time- like either they dump their kids on any one around or they cart them along all as one herd.

And it only gets worse as they get old enough for sports or dance or debate or robotics completions. Or whatever.

2 people simply can’t be everywhere, and this is assuming they’re able to go in the first place