• thethirdgracchi [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Best part of this is that Russians have three names (a first name, surname, and a patronymic) and they love using nicknames. So the main character is Rodion (first name) Romanovitch (patronymic) Raskolnikov (surname), but can (and is) called by any of those three names. He’s also got nicknames like Rodya, Rodenka, and Rodka. So this deranged individual (who decided to call Raskolnikov “Pete” I guess) is going to be hopelessly confused when somebody starts referring to Rodya, and he’ll think the book is filled with like five times as many characters as it actually is.

• NephewAlphaBravo [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If your cracker ass can remember hundreds of pokemon names for the duration of a game, you can remember a dozen russian names for the duration of a book

• tocopherol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

For anyone that doesn’t want to click but likes words, it’s French for ‘novel with a key’, as in if you know the key you can understand the underlying allegory.

• frosty99c@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’d love to see what he does with 100 years of solitude. There are only like 4 names for 15 different characters

• Vampire [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I keep a digital copy on the side and Ctrl+F the character’s name so I can get a refresher on them when I’m reading Dostoevsky.

Part of the problem is the 3 names as the other commenter said, and part of it is that the style of book has 100s of characters, much like a soap opera.

• SpiderFarmer [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Crime and Punishment is my second favorite book. That said, I was confused when Raskolnikov’s friend’s name was randomly switched up. That’s when I learned that Russians and Latinos share the having four or five names thing in common. Absolutely based tradition, though I’m surprised I remember my own name sometimes.

It’s also not best advised to read that book when you’re a college-aged boy short on cash. Or maybe it is…

• AutoVomBizMarkee [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Recently read A Fire Upon the Deep were half the story takes place on a planet with dog like group mind beings whose names are the combination of every member and if members die and they get a new member the name changes to include the new member, but they also use nicknames for the group beings whenever they feel like it. This person would have a great time with that book. Also book was eh but fun.

• Krem [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

also there were intelligent flowers that zoomed around in little gokarts and waved their leaves to talk

maybe the first book to envision racist shitposting leading to genocide

• Sons_of_Ferrix@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Also racist butterfly people.

Also I just learned the author just died a month ago. Think he was some kind of AnCap, but was pretty good at writing weird SciFi tho.

• AOCapitulator [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Nah, this is a fine thing to do and I support it heartily!

Especially recommend stuff like this when reading theory, Lenin likes to call dudes out by name and hyper specific organizations and membership etc, when those details don’t really matter much for my purposes reading this 120 years later

Ive never actually gone in and replaced names, but I kind of glance at them and go “this is guy 1” and move on

Or more specifically like “opportunist leader of anti-bolshevik faction guy” etc etc. It’s really not worth remembering every single name

Also, some people find remembering names hard, let alone unfamiliar ones

This is however still a funny post lol

• CTHlurker [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

In the Lenin texts I just sort of gloss over those names. Like you said, those people are long dead and their orgs have been dead and buried since before the russian civil war.

• DerEwigeAtheist [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

A novel is not a piece of political theory. The aims are different, also russian naming conventions are more complex than english ones.

Also I believe on should try and actually engage with the cultural context of a piece of art(the novel) and not just to actively remove it. Why read russian literature then?

• DerEwigeAtheist [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Engaging with the cultural context of a classic novel is part of reading it. Of course it can be difficult, but it is a russian piece of literature. It is an integral part of what it is, on a conceptual level. If you take that away you have a fundamentally different work. What’s the poin then? This is not about ability, at least I don’t think so, there is a glossary is there after all(in the better translations at least).

Like, I agree, fuck the names of obscure political groups from a hundred years ago. Outside of specific contexts they are generally not needed for understanding the theory. But theory is not a narrative novel.

• ToxicDivinity [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

If you take that away you have a fundamentally different work. What’s the poin then?

You’re already reading a translation. You’re already reading a fundamentally different work

I agree that it’s good to try to understand things that are foreign to you but if that’s too difficult then do whatever works best for you it’s not a big deal

• naevaTheRat@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah whatever makes reading more widely more accessible to people seems good.

Even when I’m reading stuff originally written in English it’s not like I’m paying enormous attention to names. If you’re not subvocalising names are sort of start letter-end letter-length-shape tags.

I really appreciate it when authors include dramatis personae anyway. Helps if you get busy and need to put a book down, it also means authors don’t have to exposition in every new character which can kill pacing in complex stories.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah, he’s the brain genius that came up with super-imperialism i.e. the late stage of imperialism which creates world peace through cartelisation of the world powers into a one-world imperial cartel, the same way the banks and industry formed cartels to maximize profits.