• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Thank you! The whole identity politics movement has always seemed to have a malicious edge to it for me. There is obvious racism built right into a movement that is supposed to be antiracism, and I feel like I’m living in crazytown that so few people seem to see it, including several people that I consider very intelligent people. For all the “progress” we’ve made over the last 2 decades, it feels like race relations are worse than they were back then. It really felt like we were close to racial blindness in the mid 2000’s, and now the agenda is to make race at the core of everyone’s identity. Anyone who speaks up about not wanting that world is berated as a bigot, and if they happen to be people of color then they’re derided as uneducated, or ignorant. It has been very frustrating trying to navigate through the current antiracism ideology. Like any good doublespeak it has positive elements to it, but the actual goals seem to be far more malicious than stated.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Highlighting differences triggers a psychological instinct in many people to see somebody with different traits as “the others”. That’s the reason I’ve been bothered by it too.

Intersectionalism should’ve stayed an academic topic, because we need people to figure out who is hurt the most by what and where so that nobody’s case is forgotten, but making it part of people’s identity makes people divide themselves. The public focus should’ve been on policy and inclusion.

• HeyThisIsntTheYMCA@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

So I moved from an extremely racist shithole to a much less racist area in the aughts. That’s pretty much my perspective. I couldn’t compare much because literally I’m not being woken up by racial slurs every morning anymore. I may be an outlier if you think you’re trying to prove something.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

In my experience racist places are even more racist now. Of course all of this is subjective, and not substantiated by data. But even just reading the news these days seems to substantiate my experience. Congratulations on getting away from the shit hole you were in back then!

• HeyThisIsntTheYMCA@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Congratulations on getting away from the shit hole you were in back then!

Thanks. It feels weird sometimes. I haven’t even been invited to a book burning in over a decade and I’m wondering if I don’t fit in.

• masquenox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

It really felt like we were close to racial blindness in the mid 2000’s

Liberalism doesn’t cure white supremacism, liberal.