Both take 4 months to be delivered.

• regul [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I buy used furniture from vintage stores, consignment stores, facebook marketplace, craigslist, estate sales, etc.

It’s the only way to get older stuff (read: better quality) for a decent price.

• Delphinium [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

There used to be a TV show on discovery channel about how to do B&Es in your local boujee neighborhoods. I think it was like a bar rescue thing where they would go over home safety at the end with the owners. Anyways, good luck with your search.

Edit: It Takes A Thief

• tocopherol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I’ve gotten a few things from the street when college students move out, if you have a university or college town nearby and you know the right days there could be a plethora of pefectly good desks, chairs or whatever left outside. Like regul said I’ve heard people have good results on facebook marketplace but I’ve never used it.

They really don’t make things like they used to also, talking about things falling apart. If you can get good quality vintage stuff I think it’s worth it, I have a wood and metal office chair from the 80s that is rock solid, from goodwill for less than 20 bucks.

• American_Badass [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Oh, this really small obscure town next to my parent’s tiny obscure town has a great retro furniture store with a town of nice mid century stuff at reasonable prices.

If I were you I’d try there. Other than that, it’s fast fashion for furniture, and I hate it so much.

• Parsani [love/loves, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I don’t have much furniture, but some I got used for free, and some I made myself. I think the last thing I bought was from Ikea, but it was one of the rare “not made of cardboard with a fake wood veneer” items lol

• meeshen@vegantheoryclub.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

We recently moved and had to furnish a whole new house. We had some minor stuff of our own from before like a desk, an office chair, some drawers and a TV, but not even a bed otherwise.

Save for a new bed matress, we bought it all second hand, off local thrift groups, in thrift stores etc etc:

• nice hardwood bed frame for $30
    • a beautiful vintage “rococo-style” desk for $80
    • two vintage chairs in the same style for $30
    • this one is more expensive, but absolutely beautiful: a copper-plated coffe table with a world map motif for $100
    • vintage 2 person sofa, still same fucken style, $50
    • vintage drawer $40, another one in a different style for a different room but also similar price
    • rustic kitchen table $40
    • 6 fitting chairs for the kitchen $40
    • cute corner cupboard $10
    • free bookshelf

…and more. We are now fully furnished, and really nicely so (seriously, it’s beautiful furniture), and it all went for under $700. Now this is over like 5-6 months and took us a fair amount of looking, but we needed to just browse the thrift sites and have access to a car for easy transport, ppl offload really beautiful shit for cheap all the time.

• meeshen@vegantheoryclub.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Though now that I think of it, we did buy also a few rugs and some other minor shit that probably runs up like another $200 or so, and we got some old trash from my parents before we changed it out for better shit (and also, the thrifted kitchen chairs were found by them)