• I’m mainly privacy and security focused when it comes to software. My first Linux distro was Whonix. It’s like if Tor expanded from the browser into an OS. Its a bit clunky and outdated though, so not a great daily driver. My second and current distro was the KDE spin of Fedora. It’s been amazing top to bottom. Unfortunately Red Hat recently started some drama, but Fedora shouldn’t be impacted as its upstream. If Red Hat’s greasy paws do mess things up, I’m thinking about running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Hopefully it’s just me over thinking and Fedora will remain a stellar OS option for years to come.

• aliens@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If you want the security/privacy of whonix capabilities with the flexibility of fedora you should checkout Qubes OS. As long as you have the correct hardware to run Qubes it can make for a secure and unique experience.

• I’ve given Qubes a go, it’s a bit much for my threat model. Fedora is a well ranked OS from a privacy and security standpoint, not on the same level as Qubes, but Qubes uses it as the base OS. Fedora’s easier on the eyes and straight forward. Is Qubes your daily driver?

• aliens@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yep, I’ve been using it daily for a few years now to keep my personal, social, research and work lives separate and compartmentalized. It’s the most user friendly way I’ve been able to keep things straight with the different color schemes and ability to run whonix/Debian/fedora/windows and switch between them with ease.