This is quite exciting in that it removes plastic waste. I see no reason why different companies can’t make different shape ones to maintain their lock-in. I expect a knock-off market to pop-up, but that exists with plastic pods too. It’s a step in the right direction at least.

• Nawor3565@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

This might be a really stupid question, but if you’re going to use reusable pods, why not just… Use a classic Mr. Coffee-style coffee maker that has been around for decades?

• hoch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Because Jill in accounting has no clue how to make coffee, yet always gets to the coffee pot first.

This see-through abomination was the final straw before I switched to using the office keurig.

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

That’s some sparkling coffee if I’ve ever seen it lmao, did they throw out 3 pots first before using the same grounds for that pot?

• Addv4@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Cause a k cup is pretty convenient if you just want a cup and don’t want to clean the pot regularly. The main drawback is the actual leftover k cup, if it was made out of some thing that would decompose it would be a lot better for the environment. Not saying that the Mr. Coffee isn’t cheaper, but I’m not paying for the coffee, so convenience ranks higher on most priority lists.

• The Pantser@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

My ninja coffee maker is traditional drip but you can set it to cup mode and only put enough grounds for a cup. I used to have a super automatic but they are so hard to keep clean because the grounds go everywhere inside. But reusable kerug cups make no sense when you could have a drip machine with cup settings.

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I’ve got two: One Keurig which was a gift and an off-brand single-cup coffee maker that uses pods. I’m the only coffee drinker in the house, so one cup at a time is about right (and uses less energy than keeping a carafe warm all morning).

• Jay@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I used to love my coffee maker (One of the ones with the thermos built in as the carafe) but my daughter wanted a Keurig. I was hesitant at first but I really like them now that I’m used to it.

We use reusable pods so making coffee is as cheap as before, and there’s little wasted coffee that sat too long. If I want coffee I get one without worrying if my daughter might want one later, and visa versa. It’s always fresh and never has to sit. And since we both don’t really have regular schedules this way makes it easier than planning how much to make. It also works just as well if one of us wants tea or hot chocolate instead.

If you are on a fixed schedule and always drink the exact same amount of coffee then it’s not as big of a deal though. The only real downside is if you have friends over then sometimes being able to brew a pot is less of a hassle than individually making multiple cups at the same time, but in our case that doesn’t happen often enough to keep the old coffee maker out.

• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

LPT - grind coffee into a French press before bed and add water. Leave it on the counter overnight and in the morning you will have much better coffee.

• dumptruckdan@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

FWIW I use a regular drip coffee maker and I only ever make a cup per day. I fill my coffee mug and dump it in the reservoir, then use one of the smaller size filters and one scoop of coffee adjusted for the size of my mug. Though typing this out, I’m now thinking of getting a reusable filter basket.