• CaptObvious@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Backup cameras are useless for many people. I can either wear glasses so that I can see where I’m driving, or I can take them off to see the fisheyed backup screen. Not both.

• SqueakyBeaver@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Backup cameras are pretty good imo because they let you see the small things you wouldn’t be able to see out of a mirror. Helps prevent needless accidents. If you don’t wanna use it, just don’t look at it. Most cars should still have rear view mirrors

• desktop_user@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

the backup camera is useful when the rear window is obstructed (such as from mud/dust) and for comically large vehicles where a short pole wouldn’t be visible if it was less than 3ft behind it.

• TowardsTheFuture@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Good thing glasses are permanently superglued to your face and thus it’s impossible to swap between having them on and off when swapping between going backwards and forwards…

• CaptObvious@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Except for those of us who, you know, like to see where we’re going rather than relying on a limited FOV camera. Of course, if I could learn to remove and replace them while keeping both hands engaged in actually, you know, steering the damn car, that’d be great.

• TowardsTheFuture@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I better have both hands on the wheel for all those times I’m mid turn and shift while still moving into reverse……

It’s… for when you’re backing up. You’ve come to a complete stop. You’re going to stop before you start moving forward again. It’s not hard to tilt glasses onto the top of your head while you stop or flip them back down when you stop.

A MUCH bigger issue would be the rear view mirrors which are just cameras and screens.

Are you mixing the two up?