• jacksilver@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If there were more search systems/engines there would be a wider variety of ways search results are optimized. Meaning SEO would have a greater level of diminishing returns. Having a single player creates a single point of weakness in search.

• NoIWontPickAName@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

There are a ton of them, the problem is none of them are as good as google.

I hear there are good pay ones, though I have never tried one.

I can usually find what I need on google pretty damn quick, although I have seen the end page more than once

• abhibeckert@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I can usually find what I need on google pretty damn quick

It depends what you’re searching for. Some things are very hard to find that used to be easy.

The solution I’d like to see is for Google to stop being anticompetitive. For example it just leaked that they pay half of their company wide profits to Apple in order to stop Apple from using (or creating) another search engine.

Stop spending tens of billions of dollars per year trying to keep competition away, and instead invest all of that money into making Google Search a better product.

• JohnEdwa@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

They also pay Mozilla over $400 million a year for the same. And as around 90% of the income for Mozilla is from the search engine deals, they’d go out of business without them.

• runefehay@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Mozilla wouldn’t be struggling if another monopoly (Microsoft) hadn’t destroyed their company.