• temeleh@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

To be fair, you can nuke your entire OS with a single command on Windows too.

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Don’t even need a command. I’ve seen people brick their windows install messing around with registry keys. Most of my coworkers and friends think I’m some sort of wizard because I follow the instructions to the letter if I have any reason to run regedit.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Well I never used command line in 30 years of Windows.

It’s pretty much a requirement for Linux that you copy and paste random commands you don’t understand from strangers on the internet.

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

To be fair I never downloaded 20 sketchy looking zip files from some ODM manufacture website just to get my hardware working. I also didn’t need to reboot my computer 40 times while installing drivers, software, and updates.

I didn’t have my motherboard, mouse, and fan controller auto install junky apps that never works and advertised new products constantly. I didn’t have to try to uninstall adware just to find out you can’t uninstall half of it. I didn’t have to Google some esoteric regedit voodo just to add features back or disable anti-features.

I don’t get full screen ads for OneDrive and office 365 begging me to switch to a Microsoft account every other update. I don’t have to go to each and every manufacturers website to search for updates. Or create an account, login to it, and have it run in the background 247 just to not work when an update needs to be applied.

Have windows install updates in the background while playing games, or doing CPU intensive tasks like transcoding / video editing(often crashing the application).

Having to use the terminal on my Linux install every once in a blue moon crosses the line though. I might switch to windows and deal with all that instead.😂

• nexussapphire@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I was just having fun with it. It really took a lot to make me switch to Linux in reality. For me anyway it was more the better polish from wayland and the ability to play games that made me finally switch. All my tools were already there which I understand most people can’t say.

I never liked windows much after 7. Mostly used it like a flathead screwdriver, I curse when I have to use it over a Philips (slippery lil fuckers) but it’s the first tool I grab when I need a pry tool because it’s always there. I have like five of those damn things in my drawer and a few more in my toolbox.

• MonkderDritte@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

It’s pretty much a requirement for Linux that you copy and paste random commands you don’t understand from strangers on the internet.

No.

• lemmyreader@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Well I never used command line in 30 years of Windows.

That’s 30 years of using closed source software from strangers (Or do you have many good friends at Redmond WA USA ?) :-)

Maybe decades ago it was. Nowadays that’s not a requirement as there’s GUI applications for a lot more things than before. And as a Linux user I simply find it much more convenient and faster to share some commands with another person than making screen shots and creating a howto of a few pages or making a video. Also documentation has improved. For the average Linux user the Arch Linux wiki is a nice resource, even when not using Arch Linux.

• UxyIVrljPeRl@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Funnylie enough, if im not doing programmer/networking stuff, there are only 3 reasons to open a terminal

• run a script, because mousepad likes to open them
          • run pacman, because pamac broke again
          • checking the error log, because updates or playing around broke something
        • helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

That’s 30 years of using closed source software from strangers

…ok?

Or do you have many good friends at Redmond WA USA ?) :-)

I don’t understand.

Maybe decades ago it was.

No it still is. Look up any software for Linux. There will be links to download the software for Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS and if there is a Linux version it will just put the command and not even explain what it is or what to do with it, because they just assume if you’re using Linux that you’re familiar with the terminal.

Do a web search for “how to <anything> in Linux” and tell me it doesn’t send you into the terminal to do it.

• RecluseRamble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

Websites offer that but you can usually find those in your favorite package manager Downloading software from shady websites is the Windows way of doing things.

Now, to be clear: this discussion is about having to use the terminal and that’s what people answered. You still find so many resources referring to the terminal because it’s often just the most convenient and effective way to do something.

I certainly prefer it over clicking through settings or running dedicated tools to do something that could be solved by a single line. And I was an exclusive Windows user like 5 years ago.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Websites offer that but you can usually find those in your favorite package manager

Most of the time the only thing you’ll find in package managers for mainstream software is unofficial, and many times broken.

Downloading software from shady websites is the Windows way of doing things.

Then…don’t do that? Go to the official source of the software? It’s not like Google or Apple repositories aren’t regularly packed with malware pretending to be something they’re not…

• Godort@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

How?

I dual boot and use the command line a similar amount in both. cmd and powershell in windows are super useful for troubleshooting things that don’t work, or setting configuration options that are just not possible from the GUI, like disabling the hiberfil

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

The how is that they are a user that has never had to troubleshoot their own machine. At least that’s what I am getting from reading all their replies. They seem to honestly believe there is no use case for cmd in windows.

feel free to pronounce the word “user” as the slur intended

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

How?

I don’t understand the question.

cmd and powershell in windows are super useful

Yes but it’s only necessary for one of them.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

CLI is a bigger necessity on Windows than Linux

It’s just unnecessarily verbose on Windows and on Linux help pages are from people that know what they’re doing

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

CLI is a bigger necessity on Windows than Linux

That is 3937182948% incorrect.

and on Linux help pages are from people that know what they’re doing

That’s exactly the problem. Linux is made by and for developers.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

What have you not found a gui alternative for?

I have found apps on Windows you can’t remove without commands, settings that can’t be changed (commands or regedit), and any bulk file actions. However we will say bash = bash