• Einar
      link
      fedilink
      1514 days ago

Didn’t know about that one. Why, there’s no objection in adding more to the collection right here. 😊

• prowess2956
        link
        fedilink
        614 days ago

I’m definitely here for more alternatives as well (and because I haven’t yet figured out how to save a post without commenting)

• smpl
      link
      English
      914 days ago

Don’t be so sad, the list is shit.

I like drop.lol

• smpl
          link
          English
          313 days ago

As @Caboose12000@lemmy.world already said, I’d recommend drop.lol (can be selfhosted). Filetransfers are direct between peers (unless you’re behind some hardcore NAS where UDP hole-punching via STUN is not possible).

I mean how I transfer a file depends on the situation. If it’s to someone on XMPP I’d just establish a direct transfer there. Sometimes I share a directory over HTTP, FTP, SFTP and so on. The easiest way for most people, because it only requires a WebRTC capable browser, is with one of the many peer to peer filesharing platforms like drop.lol.

• @D_Air1@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    13 days ago

Me and a buddy just set up syncthing and use that when we need to do this and don’t want in third parties involved. Turn it off when you are done.

• @rdyoung@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      14 days ago

I use resilio sync across my work and personal phones and I use it to backup my phones to my nas. No need to turn it on/off, it’s accessible only via secret key or shared link and it’s encrypted.

I know sync isn’t foss but it’s the best one I’ve found over the years and it just works.

• @PerogiBoi@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        414 days ago

Love resilio. Fantastic for travelling to quickly pull up your passport or visa or train tickets you reserved before. Just leave a computer running at home (like a home server).

• @milicent_bystandr@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            113 days ago

Mobius Sync is an iOS app for it. Free version has max directory size 25mb(?) but dev seems to have good attitudes; it’s something I wouldn’t mind paying for.

• ggppjj
          link
          fedilink
          English
          212 days ago

It’s a bit more consumer focused, easier for Grandma kind of thing. Syncthing isn’t hard, but does have in my opinion a bit more difficult of an initial setup with features like introducers that can make things difficult if configured wrong.

• Uhrbaan
      link
      fedilink
      212 days ago

Didn’t see the comment before posting

Totally agree, swiss transfer is incredible but I thought its use was restricted to Switzerland?

• monoboy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1313 days ago

I do:

• Wormhole.app: for smaller file transfers to people not tech savvy
    • Rsync: if the person is running an SSH server I can connect to
    • Bittorrent: pretty much anything else
  • @claymore@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    613 days ago

I never see toffeeshare mentioned. P2P, encrypted, no size limit. Only problem is you can’t send folders, only files, but that’s easily solved with tarballs or RARs.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky
    link
    fedilink
    English
    413 days ago

Anyone have any objections or anything negative to say about snapdrop(dot)net besides maybe anyone on the same network could try to connect to you?

• @kib48@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      13 days ago

snapdrop.net seems to go down all the time, I stopped using it a while ago and switched to LocalSend

neither of them work over the internet though so they don’t really fit the article

• Captain Aggravated
      link
      fedilink
      English
      812 days ago

I think because Syncthing isn’t really for “sharing” files. It can move large files across the internet but it’s not designed for “hey send me a copy of that blu-ray your ripped” sharing.

• Uhrbaan
    link
    fedilink
    312 days ago

If your swiss, just use swisstransfer.com. it’s fast, supports up to 50gb of data, 500 transfers per day (and free!), more than you’ll ever need. Although for security, they do say your filles are sent over https, but because they do not promote encryption I suppose they don’t support that (although they do support password protected files).

So yeah, it’s usually more than enough for most use cases, although I’d encrypt my files before sending them if they contain sensitive data, but that’s rarely the case.