link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Bbbeeee aaaafffffrrrraaaiiiiiddddddddddddd!1!!1!!!1!!!1!!1!!!1!!!

C’mon. Chernobyl was like a drunk driver bypassing the blow device, and now you want to ban all cars everywhere for everyone and everything for eternity. Just to replace it with horses that kill even more people.

• itslilith@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

When I misuse a coal plant, it breaks down and potentially pollutes the vicinity. When I misuse a photovoltaic plant, it might get damaged. If I misuse a nuclear plant, an area becomes uninhabitable for centuries.

But accidents are not the main concern, when there are currently nuclear power plants being held hostage in an ongoing war

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

See you’re treating all nuclear plants and operation of those plants as the same. It’s not. Just like car designs are not the same as they were in 1950, nuclear plant designs are not the same as they were in the 1950s.

You know Chernobyl was because they threw the operating procedure out the window right? But you want to act as if that’s just the normal operating procedure. And that it could just happen just because, just from normal operating or something. It’s insane.

So you think the US, UK, France, Germany, etc etc etc nuclear plants will be taken hostage by Russians? See you’re on your fear campaign once again. Beee aaafffrraaaaiiiiddd!1!11!! That’s all it is.

*Have to correct “misuse coal”. It’s not misuse, it’s use. Using coal guarantees polluting both locally and the entire planet.

• TheUnicornsForever@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I mean, can you tell for sure that there will not be any war in France or Germany in the next 70 years? I don’t think it’s likely, and I’m clearly of the opinions that we should apply whatever carbon reduction that is most carbon effective, nuclear included, given the current climate emergency, but considering a nuclear power plant could be targeted by an army or terror group is not that far-fetched.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

Is everyone afraid yet? Better keep going even though Russia just humiliated themselves by being held off by one of the poorest countries in Europe. Always be aaaffrraaaiiiddd.

• buddascrayon@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Ok, I’m with you on most of your points but you are mistaken in thinking Ukraine is a poor country. They are literally the bread basket of eastern Europe. That’s one of the biggest reasons Putin is so intent on taking it.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Bread basket does not mean rich. Look at the gdp numbers per capita, they are shockingly poor.

• Jax@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Let me throw in my two cents.

We have people in the U.S. who shoot up schools. We have people who stormed the capitol when their great orange godking failed to be made King President.

I, for one, am afraid of what the kind of person who instigates an insurrection could do with a target like a nuclear power plant.

• buddascrayon@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

With the safety features built into all nuclear plants, it would have to be a crazed nuclear engineer and the place would have to be abandoned and yet still somehow functioning. This is real life, not the Simpsons.