I strongly identify with this meme 😛. Thought others here might as well. There’s this “paradox” of much preferring solitude much of the time while knowing you need other people in your corner in life.

• Ivy Raven
    link
    fedilink
    English
    159 months ago

It’s ‘funny’ because I want to interact with people, but interacting as myself means I feel drained. It’s a vicious cycle.

• @TheDoozer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    89 months ago

I have a wife and two kids and work full time managing people.

I have not felt lonely in nearly two decades, and would relish the opportunity. Any moment alone now is a brief reprieve with the knowledge it will end soon. I love my family and my job, but I miss being single and able to avoid interacting with people for a week or so at a time (outside of work).

• @SuddenDownpour@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      99 months ago

You’re an adult. If you have the resources, and are able to maturely communicate your needs, you might as well look for a way to do it.

I know of a couple of autistic people happily married for over 10 years who, from time to time, leave the house entirely alone for either of them for almost a whole day.

• @satureOP
        link
        English
        49 months ago

I’d agree with this! I’m actually going through a divorce right now. There are a lot of reasons for it, but several of them have to do with me masking too much in one way or another around my wife and eventually not being able to do that anymore. Needing a lot more time to myself than I was getting was one of those things. I’ve really enjoyed the fact that I’m getting that alone-time now. Ultimately, for a variety of reasons, I’m glad the marriage is ending, but I really do wish I had been honest with her about my needs much sooner.

• Gameboy Homeboy
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          9 months ago

I’m not autistic but stumbled on this post. I don’t exactly see myself as an introvert but I require more time to myself than most people to feel whole. I got divorced after 15 years and my now partner of three years has learned to respect my need for alone time. We spend 3 days together on average and I really like the balance.

• @satureOP
            link
            English
            29 months ago

That’s encouraging to hear! I would eventually like to try for a stable relationship again, and I hope I can find someone who is OK with less “together time” than is typical. Congrats that you have!

• @Sketchpad01@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    59 months ago

Yeah, I’d much rather be alone and not have to think of how to act and speak but also I realize that I have a limited time where I will be living with my family and having them at that short of access. I’d like to say I’ve found a happy medium but I mostly like to hide in my room.

• chillbo_baggins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    39 months ago

Sonichu’s Paradox states that a being cannot simultaneously touch grass and enjoy it.